Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Calculating angle of shot by yardage and alt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 10:28 AM
Bronze Member

Calculating angle of shot by yardage and alt

Hello, this is my first post, first off great sight and wealth of information!
I was wondering if there was any way to calculate angle of shot by using range info from a NON arc rangefinder and getting altitude with gps at shooting location and target location.
Surely thier must be away but so far my searches on the web have been unsuccessful, probably my phrase input.

Thank you in advance!
Old 05-31-2009, 11:20 AM
Gold Member

Re: Calculating angle of shot by yardage and alt

I just use a 10 dollar angle finder from ace hardware, just stick the magnetic base on the bottom of the barrel and it immediately gives you a reading.
RR
Old 05-31-2009, 11:48 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
I just use a 10 dollar angle finder from ace hardware, just stick the magnetic base on the bottom of the barrel and it immediately gives you a reading.
RR
Thats great, Thank you very much!
Will definately purchase one of those!
Old 05-31-2009, 12:20 PM
Silver Member

I've used the same method before. I've also put the meter on my range finder before too. I've also used a string attached to on of the mil-dot calculators. However, while each of those worked and was pretty cheap, if you can get one of the ACI that mount to the scope or rings or base, IMHO it's really the way to go.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgoharder View Post
I've used the same method before. I've also put the meter on my range finder before too. I've also used a string attached to on of the mil-dot calculators. However, while each of those worked and was pretty cheap, if you can get one of the ACI that mount to the scope or rings or base, IMHO it's really the way to go.
Thanx alot for input, and I agree that the ACI is the way to go, and one day I will probably purchase one, actually the version that also has the anti cant level on it aswell. But for the moment I was looking for a cheap alternative.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

Here is what you need to do to find the horizontal distance by the method you suggest.

((straight line range)^2-(elevation difference)^2)^.5

most cell phone calculators are capable of this. Make sure you use the same units.

For example 1000 yards line of sight 600ft vertical equals 200yards vertical.

((1000)^2-(200)^2)^.5 = 980 yards

if you want to know the angle that is then take arctan(200/1000) = 11.3 degrees
Old 05-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

I use my compass, it has a small bubble of air in it. I set it at 0 and lay the long flat on the barrel as it points to target and get a degree reading off of it. The bubble tells you the angle.