Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

BUY - The best rifle sling ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 04:47 AM
Gold Member

BUY - The best rifle sling ?

Hi guys,

I am looking for a biathlon double shoulder sling of some disciption to carry a heavy hunting rifle, up and down directly positioned on the middle of my back. I have looked at the eberlestock packs, but I dont like the way they face barrel down. I don't believe you would be able to sit down wearing one, and if you slipped over you drive your expensive barrel into the ground ?

Buy double shoulder biathlon sling at the LRH Gear Shop

Is there a biathlon style sling on the market ? I plan on carrying my extra gear in a new ARKTIS 1624 webbing rig that leaves my back free to sling rifle and tripod.

I spoke to eberlestock and they said the answer was to "loose the tripod ?". Can you believe that?

Just interested if anyone knows of something like what I am discribing ??

Cheers all !

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Last edited by Len Backus; 02-15-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:45 AM
Silver Member

re: BUY - The best rifle sling ?

If you had a pack you might take a look at Kifaru's GunBearer. I haven't tried one but have only heard good things.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

Browning has a sling in its catalog that employs two straps, one for each shoulder and the rifle goes up the center of your back. I have used them for longer carries and they work very well.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...&offset=26

I prefer the super quality slings from www.texashuntco.com or www.specops.com, both the same outfit I believe. They are about the toughest slings I have found, have a piece of bungie cord in them so they stretch.

I had a bad experience with a stretchy type sling from Vero Vellini, very simply it was not strong enough for toting a 14 pound rifle and it came apart.

The Kifaru pack is a great setup, you can carry the rifle in a little holster and locking strap that works great but I believe it would be best with lighter rifles. Would be pretty awkward with all that weight on one side. I believe you are on the right track with your idea of slinging down the middle of your back.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Silver Member

I like the Montana slings. Simple design, leather and very easy to adjust. You can get the standard 1" or a 2" wide version.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0024463226436a.shtml
Old 01-15-2010, 06:09 AM

i was asked by a member on another site to make this up for him

he gave it such a good report i made one up for my self and used it yesterday stalking for around 9 hours yesterday it really was very comfortable "Ever had a rifle come off your shoulder while scatting your way up a 1 in 3 incline, made up of heather & soggy moss?,Ever wished you had another pair of hands to keep putting that rifle back where it should be when dragging Rudolph on your own? I decided to ask Ash to make me a version of the biathlon ski & shoot sling system, well as usual he's come up with the goods first try!, I asked him to build it a little more robust than the racing rigs they use on comps, it's turned out spot on, a couple of points, I am not one for cosmetics over functionality, so a small blemish on part of the leather does not detract from my pleasure in receiving this bit of kit, & anyone thinking it looks a tad heavy would be wrong, even with the quality brass that's on here I reckon the increase in comfort & safety is worth the tiny increase in weight, when wearing the rig I cannot foul the butt stock with my wellies at full bend of the knee, & the mod will clear the low stuff with a gentle stoop. No difference in dismount into the aim, just a firm shrug of the shoulder & your ready"
Old 01-15-2010, 07:41 AM
Bronze Member

See the Double Shoulder Sling right here in the LRH Gear Shop. I used one last season in Colorado with my 15 lb. 338 Edge. Sling is light weight, strong and works great!

Last edited by Len Backus; 10-25-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard3 View Post
See the Double Shoulder Sling right here in the LRH Gear Shop. I used one last season in Colorado with my 15 lb. 338 Edge. Sling is light weight, strong and works great!
And here is the page here to buy it from LRH: Long Range Hunting Gear & Supplies

Last edited by Len Backus; 10-25-2010 at 09:00 AM.