Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bullets - BT vs. FB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Bronze Member

Bullets - BT vs. FB

A 300 yard shot in my neck of the woods is a long shot. I have started reloading my 350 RemMag just recently. I plan to use the 180 FB & 200 BT Barnes TTSX bullets. What difference can I expect at 300 yards between these two bullets? I do have one lease in the mtns. of NC that I could make a 500 yard shot.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Bullets - BT vs. FB

What velocity are you running with the two? A couple of minutes with ballistic software should do the trick for you. The 200 is going to retain more energy @ distance than the 180 due to the increased BC of the weight AND the boat tail. My experience has been that flat base bullets tend to be easier to "tune" than boat tails; meaning they aren't as finicky & tend to print somewhat smaller groups. Some say it's due to consistent pressure on the base of the bullet?? I'm no expert, that's just something i've stumbled acrossed. Which bullet shoots better for you? At 300 yards, I probaby wouldn't worry too much about which is "better" as the difference should be slim. At 500 however, especially with the 350rm you should finally start to see the difference in drop/drift. Albeit, I have no idea what the BC's are with either bullet you mentioned... the 350 isn't "considered" a long range caliber, but it should still put plenty of hurt on a deer @ 500yds....

Just my thought .002.

BTW- I've got a 358STA collecting dust in the safe... maybe I should break it out one of these days...
Old 02-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagTen View Post
A 300 yard shot in my neck of the woods is a long shot. I have started reloading my 350 RemMag just recently. I plan to use the 180 FB & 200 BT Barnes TTSX bullets. What difference can I expect at 300 yards between these two bullets? I do have one lease in the mtns. of NC that I could make a 500 yard shot.

You probably won't see a lot of difference and a ballistic program will show quite clearly the difference in the flight of each.

My understanding is the FB bullets settle down and fly true within in a hundred yards whereas the BT won't give you a true reading until farther out 200+ or so. The BT will carry more velocity downrange due to their shape and higher BC and consequently more energy.

I use BT exclusively now and do all the work-up after the initial sight in at my 335 yard target. This is working well for me.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 02-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
What velocity are you running with the two? A couple of minutes with ballistic software should do the trick for you. The 200 is going to retain more energy @ distance than the 180 due to the increased BC of the weight AND the boat tail. My experience has been that flat base bullets tend to be easier to "tune" than boat tails; meaning they aren't as finicky & tend to print somewhat smaller groups. Some say it's due to consistent pressure on the base of the bullet?? I'm no expert, that's just something i've stumbled acrossed. Which bullet shoots better for you? At 300 yards, I probaby wouldn't worry too much about which is "better" as the difference should be slim. At 500 however, especially with the 350rm you should finally start to see the difference in drop/drift. Albeit, I have no idea what the BC's are with either bullet you mentioned... the 350 isn't "considered" a long range caliber, but it should still put plenty of hurt on a deer @ 500yds....

Just my thought .002.

BTW- I've got a 358STA collecting dust in the safe... maybe I should break it out one of these days...

The 180 probably 2900 and the 200 - 2800
Old 02-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Silver Member

Barnes has had trouble determining their BC in the past. I've seen them tweaking (read lowering) the BC of atleast some of their bullets. Hopefully they have it worked out, but I for one am skeptical. I do use some of their bullets, I just don't trust their published BC .
Maybe others here can better clairify.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

I wouldn't think you would see any less than 250 yds. I bought VLD's and was suprised to see the VLD's don't really start shining after 600 yds. I use a Sierria Ballastic program. Pick one and learn to shoot it.