Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

BulletFlight or Ballistics for Ipod Touch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Silver Member

BulletFlight or Ballistics for Ipod Touch

Both of these ballistic calculators look great. I was just curious to see if anyone has compared the two of them or which one is the best. I have Exbal on my computer but want something for the Ipod Touch to carry in the field. Has there been any comparisons made? How well do they match up to Exbal?

Thanks,

DoubleG
Old 06-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: BulletFlight or Ballistics for Ipod Touch

I love Ballistic, it has lots of factory loads and bullet BC's already in the program, and it works well.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Gold Member

I have both on mine... KAC BulletFlight and Ballistic FTE (Field Tactical Edition).

If you want to play 'what if' and while away the time in the carpool to work or in the elevator or in a meeting ;) Ballistic has lots more options for graphing and comparing multiple loads. If you want something that you can do a paperless range log in, Ballistic works great for that too. The interface for getting a load into the HUD (heads up display) w/ the rollers is a bit of a bother, though. Not hard, but the very last step for saving the name of the load has gone awry on me more than once, and then its start all frickin' over again... depending on the level of customization/tweaking you did, that might be more or less frustrating.

Bulletflight has far fewer options. You save things by rifle, not by load. If you use two loads in one gun, you'll have to save things accordingly. It's more stream lined in operation - for me. Open it up, select a rifle/load, hit 'Calculate Simple' and you're off and rocking w/ the HUD and the rollers. This assumes a certain amount of 'pre-adjusting' the applicable parameters like environmental conditions, etc.

Overall... for just shooting the one I keep coming back to is BulletFlight.

YMMV,

Monte
Old 06-26-2009, 01:00 AM
Gold Member

i love bulletflight. it has worked really good for me, and is quick and accurate in field conditions.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. I think I know what I have to do now... Buy BOTH! ha..

DoubleG
Old 06-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

are you guys using bulletflight level 1, 2 or 3? from a quick read, 2 looks like the ticket?
Old 06-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Silver Member

Have BulletFlight 3 on my IPhone just downloaded from itunes i see how it's by rifle and is close to what i have recorder from my chronograph with the M118LR from my own reloads using 175 SMK and 168 SMK rounds