Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bullet selection question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

Bullet selection question

I would like to load up some 168gr Berger's for my 7mm Rem Mag Sendero. The thing is, I don't shoot all my deer "long range." Sometimes I shoot deer at 100yds, sometimes I shoot deer further. I would like to leave myself with the possibility of shooting something around 800-900yds if I wanted/needed to.

My question is, will the Bergers work well at close range or would I have some problems with them performing properly?

Currently I shoot 162gr Interlock Spire Point Hornady's. They seem to work well, but if I want to shooting closer to 800-1000yds, I am guessing the extra BC would help me out. I shot an antelope at 700yds this year without any problem. I don't get to elk hunt, although I would like to in the near future, but I mostly mule deer hunt. Basically just curious if the Berger's will perform at close ranges and long ranges both. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bullet selection question

i would look at the 162 grain A-Max or 168 grain Barnes LRX. Both have high enough bc's to get you too 1k.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
I would like to load up some 168gr Berger's for my 7mm Rem Mag Sendero. The thing is, I don't shoot all my deer "long range." Sometimes I shoot deer at 100yds, sometimes I shoot deer further. I would like to leave myself with the possibility of shooting something around 800-900yds if I wanted/needed to.

My question is, will the Bergers work well at close range or would I have some problems with them performing properly?

Currently I shoot 162gr Interlock Spire Point Hornady's. They seem to work well, but if I want to shooting closer to 800-1000yds, I am guessing the extra BC would help me out. I shot an antelope at 700yds this year without any problem. I don't get to elk hunt, although I would like to in the near future, but I mostly mule deer hunt. Basically just curious if the Berger's will perform at close ranges and long ranges both. Thanks.
Just go to the Interbond or Swift Sirocco II and problem solved.

Last edited by WildRose; 12-06-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Basically just curious if the Berger's will perform at close ranges and long ranges both. Thanks.
The answer is yes. They will work for both. But understand no bullet can be best at both. In order to get good expansion at long distances where velocity of the bullet is lower, you will have more expansion at short distances with higher bullet velocity. Plenty on game has been taken at close range with Bergers, just expect more damage and larger exits than a less expansive bullet. But the less expansive bullet has a higher risk of no expansion at long range. So, my personal preference is a bullet with great BC for less drift and better placement along with great accuracy at long range that also will kill effectively at short distances where shot placement is easier.

We took 19 big game animals this season at both close and long distances with the same rifle and Berger bullets. I posted pics of the entrances and exits on the kills in this thread. Look it over and decide if the Bergers will work for your needs. I would also suggest you consider the 180s as I feel it is better to use the larger offerings for the caliber in all hunting situations where long range could be involved.

Here are a couple threads with actual field results.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-hybrid-88657/

Berger 230 and 300 OTM Hybrid terminal results

Jeff
Old 12-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

Yowwzers. Those are some impressive holes. I am gonna have to think aweful long and hard about it though. I am concerned when shooting the deer at closer range that it may possibly be a little more viscious than I would like. On the other hand, I might have to get over it just to have a good setup for long range.

I heard a mention of the interbonds. What's the reasoning behind that? Do they stick together better?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yowwzers. Those are some impressive holes. I am gonna have to think aweful long and hard about it though. I am concerned when shooting the deer at closer range that it may possibly be a little more viscious than I would like. On the other hand, I might have to get over it just to have a good setup for long range.

I heard a mention of the interbonds. What's the reasoning behind that? Do they stick together better?
The interbonds expand easily but hold their weight like the interlock. A great bullet for multiple uses/velocities. I've had great success with them in the 7mm's on everything from bobcats to large boars.

Up close or far away the exit wounds routinely are 1-2.5" and even with shoulder shots on big boars I've always had an exit.

They and the Siroccos have become my go to bullets for everything.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Silver Member

I will have to take a look at them.

So out of curiousity, for the guys who are shooting long range, is there anybody really shooting anything besides Berger's? Is there really any other option that lies between the 160-170gr option?

Also, I have been shooting these 162gr spire point Interlock Hornady's with a BC of .514. Is that "enough" so to speak BC to shoot deer at the ranges I am interested? Obviously, the more BC, the better of course. Just curious if it is worth the fuss to switch loads and rework everything if I have a load that performs well and will be "efficient enough," for lack of better explanation, to shoot animals in the ranges I am interested?

Thanks for all your help.