Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bullet Performance at Long Range.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

Location: I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the Houston area so I can afford to live outdoors!
Bullet Performance at Long Range.

I was just reading one of the great "long range hunting" threads and it got me to thinking. I am new to the site, with the quality of members you have here I'm sure these questions have already been ask...but I'm too lazy to search for them!

What type of bullet performance are you getting at long range?

What is animals basic reaction at the shot? Do they require a lot of tracking? I am a long time bowhunter (30 years) and do love to track. So I guess I expect there will be some tracking involved.

Please include caliber, bullet weight and the yardage of that shot. I am planning to build a gun for this purpose and I am sure the info will help me decide on a caliber/bullet weight combo that would work for me.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Couple data points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn C View Post
I was just reading one of the great "long range hunting" threads and it got me to thinking. I am new to the site, with the quality of members you have here I'm sure these questions have already been ask...but I'm too lazy to search for them!

What type of bullet performance are you getting at long range?

What is animals basic reaction at the shot? Do they require a lot of tracking? I am a long time bowhunter (30 years) and do love to track. So I guess I expect there will be some tracking involved.

Please include caliber, bullet weight and the yardage of that shot. I am planning to build a gun for this purpose and I am sure the info will help me decide on a caliber/bullet weight combo that would work for me.
2 elk this year. 520yds and 508yds. 338Allen Mag, 300gr SMK @ 3300fps.

First elk took 4-5 steps forward and fell over (heart shot) 520yds.

Second elk slid downhill 20' (spine shot) 508yds.

Not really long range for the 338AM, but a data point non the less.

Other elk in area trotted off in random directions.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

one groundhog at 1030.
threw him up about 3 ft and almost in two pieces...didn't have to track.
338/300 ultra with 250 gr SMK.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Silver Member

7mm Rem Ultra Mag. Hornady 162gr SST @ 3320fps.

Whitetail at 598 yards (kinda long range, but not quite) impact at neck/shoulder junction. Full pass through, deer flopped over and never twitched.

Same load 402 yards (not really long range) deer facing head-on. Entrance at base of neck, exit just in front of diaphragm. Flipped over backwards, never took a step.

Last edited by Brain; 12-06-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:05 AM
Silver Member

Took a large doe at 460yds with a 162gr A-Max @ 2825fps MV. Not sure off hand what the impact velocity was. Entry was centered on the lungs but she was quartering to me kinda hard. Penetrated the lung, liver, gut and exited on the right edge of offside ham. Ram a few yards and laid down. The others just watched her and kept feeding. Gun is a Remington XP-100 built by APS and chambered in the 270WSM necked up to 7mm. Yes...they do make a 7mmWSM but the brass sucks. The 270WSM can be had in Norma brass.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Silver Member

shot a deer this year at 720yds and with a 7mm mag shooting a 168 gr berger vld bullet at 3063fps and hit the deer in the front sholder when it was quartering towards me(just clipped the back of the sholder and through the body). The buck did the death march for about 30 yds and bit the dust. No tracking on this one. Two years ago, I shot a buck at 588 yds. shot him through the neck, where the head connects to the neck. Automatic lights out. this shot was made with a .270 wsm and a 130 gr. nosler ballistic tip flying at 3100 fps.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

Location: I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the Houston area so I can afford to live outdoors!
Thanks! Keep them coming!

I may already have a gun that is already a long range gun and just never thought of it being one.

I have a 7mm rem mag that I assisted in the building of that will shoot a one hole group at 100 yards. I have played with it out to 400 at the range and on 20" steel plates @ 450. The gun was built on Bruno action and I put a mesquite stock on it (I cut down the tree and everything)...it has a Tasco target model scope on it too.