Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Do you use lube when seating bullets?
Yes i use lube! 25 44.64%
No i dont use lube! 31 55.36%
Voters: 56. This poll is closed

Bullet lube when seating?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: Bullet lube when seating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
After watching Shawn Carlock's video on long range reloading I started using the Imperial dry graphite lube of my necks right before charging and seating. I noticed a difference right away in how much smoother the bullets went in with what seems to be more consistent pressure.

Jeff
Will this work?

Thanks!

Imperial Dry Neck Lube Convenience Pak

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 10-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Simple actually. The GM seaters all have a sliding caliber specific insert that carries the pill in alignment with the seater barrel itself. You advance the case upwards until it contacts the insert, drop in the pill from the top/front and then continue the ram travel upwards, seating the pill. The seat depth is controlled with a micrometer head on top. Everything stays in perfect alignment because the insert is a precision fit in the seater barrel. It's actually such a close fit that it takes an ocassional drop of oil to keep it sliding easily.

You can buy one seater die and change out the inserts and shell holders for every caliber. I get them direct from RCBS but I see Midway has them as well.

I like the micrometer head because I can record the insertion depth, switch to something else and redial the depth and go back to the previous seating depth no issue (so long as you don't move the seater itself) in the press. I tend to find a medium for all my loads, lock the adjustment nut on the seater die and adjust with the micrometer head.

I don't like inserting pills from the bottom side, something I have to do with pistoil reloads. Wish RCBS made a GM seater for handgun loads too.

I think RCBS 'borrowed' the idea from Pacific Tool and Gage but I'm not sure on that.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Bronze Member

I use Neolube No2, you can get it at hobby stores or online. It's colloidal graphite suspended in isopropanol. It comes in a 2 oz bottle with a brush. I give it a shake and apply it to the inside of the neck with a Q-tip, then leave it upside down in the loading block to dry before priming. It is easier and quicker to apply than the imperial because you wont get it on the outside of the case, then have to wipe it off(at least I did). It is some slick stuff. Works good for the intended purpose, but as stated on this thread already, in a hunting gun you might have them pull out in a magazine under fire. IMO the Imperial dry lube with the applicator beads is a happy medium between Neolube and an unlubed case.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

Sidecar,
It sounds like the rcbs seating die would be well worth the money if nothing else for the peace of mind.

More and more im starting to think graphite in alcohol may be the way to go?
Old 10-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
Sidecar,
It sounds like the rcbs seating die would be well worth the money if nothing else for the peace of mind.

More and more im starting to think graphite in alcohol may be the way to go?
I think so (RCBS GM seater). I really don't like feeding pills from the underside of a conventional seater. It's an exercise in making sure your fingers don't get pinched and you always have the issue of....'Do I have it started straight' whic is a non issue with the top loading RCBS seater.

I'd like to see RCBS do the same seater for handgun loads. Setting say a 150 grain jacketed hollow point in 44 mag is an exercise in being careful because there isn't a whole bunch of room on the underside between getting the pill in the bellmouth (brass) and engaging the die itself.

They are't cheap but you can buy one complete seater die (in your favorite caliber) and get the seater plugs and shell holders for any caliber and use the same body.

What exactly is Neolube used for? That sounds like something worthwhile too.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Bronze Member

Neolube is used in nuclear applications as a non contaminate lubricant. Hobbyists use it for model trians or something. I got mine from a hobby store online. It goes on wet and dries to a graphite film, evenly inside the neck. I use a Redding bushing die for my 6.5-284 with a .290 bushing and that gives me about .004 neck tension with Lapua brass. When seating with the competition seating die, the 140 Bergers slip right in. Definitely different feeling without the lube. Google it and you'll find it
Old 10-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Platinum Member

Turns out there is a guy in town that works on N plants (he's a certified welder, high pressure, exotic alloys) and he has a couple gallon jugs but it's No. 1 Neolube instead of No. 2. He said I could have a bit of I wanted it. Probably will take some for the time when I switch from Sierra's, to some other brand, if ever.