Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Do you use lube when seating bullets?
Yes i use lube! 25 44.64%
No i dont use lube! 31 55.36%
Voters: 56. This poll is closed

Bullet lube when seating?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bullet lube when seating?

I shake up the can of spray graphite and spray it in a old Berger bullet box. I then let it evaporate a little. I cover a q-tip and turn case upside down and put it in the neck. When you catch this right it completely covers the inside of neck. I sit case upside down in my loading block and let dry a couple of minutes. Then you are ready to prime and load. I always check to see that they are completely covered after they are dry. If not i redo them. It is important that you keep the q-tip loaded. When you catch it at the right dryness you can easily do 40 cases before you have to spray more in the box. When you respray it makes the dry stuff wet. The stuff is made by Spray On. If you think your bullets go in easy and consistent; wait till you try this. This is one of the things that helped me break all the records in 1000 BR. Matt
Old 10-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Matt. Was wondering about the best way to apply it without making a mess. Q-tip it is. Eli
Old 10-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Silver Member

Good thread for sure, thanks guys...

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 10-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Maybe my Sierra's are pre-lubed because I've experienced no seating issues (I VLD all my case mouths). I've pulled seated pills to see if there is any marks on the pills themselves from seating and there is nothing and they slide in smoothly.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Hi Sidecar, excuse my ignorance, but what's "VLDing case mouths". Not familiar with the acronym...
Old 10-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubbit View Post
Hi Sidecar, excuse my ignorance, but what's "VLDing case mouths". Not familiar with the acronym...
I believe that he is referring to using a case mouth chamfer that has the VLD 28 degree angle on the chamfer.

I use imperial sizing wax on the outside of the case mouth when neck sizing. Just a tiny bit does it. When I go to seat a bullet, I put a tiny bit of the sizing wax on the bullet where the boat tail starts. I just started doing this not too long ago and it makes a WORLD of difference in the consitency of seating the bullet. At least that is what my brain tells me when the bullet is seated so smoothly.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Silver Member

Thanks, that makes sense. I shoot VLDs and didn't realize there was a custom chamfer. Switching to hybrids in any case.