Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bullet into lands= velocity deviation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Silver Member

Bullet into lands= velocity deviation?

Loading bergers into lands(not intintional, just working up load) Can this cause large velocity diffrences? Bullets all loaded the same with H4831 can show as much as 30 to 60fps diffrence depending on grains of powder used with the heavier powder loads providing the larger diffrences. Could the bullet being jamed into the lands cause this? Thank's, Brad

Last edited by RangerBrad; 11-14-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Bullet into lands= velocity deviation?

Not necessarily. I would think it would have more to do with powder volume and primer. Not to mention if you are using virgin brass. I know that with virgin brass I get higher ES's than if I have just neck sized brass already formed to my chamber. Your seating depth will also adjust your ES. But the trade off is finding good accuracy.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Silver Member

I am using all Winchester brass fired from my rifle, am very particular about measured amount of powder and Remmington 9 1/2 primers. Not doing anything special just resize, trim, deburr, clean primer hole, reprime, measure and add powder and seat 115gr Berger bullet. I am extremely new to reloading but, can't figure out what I must be doing wrong. Measurments are from a Competition Electronics Prochrono Chronograph. Have gone to the range several diffrent days and used several diffrent loads but always with the same problem. Any ideas? Thank's, Brad
Old 11-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBrad View Post
Loading bergers into lands(not intintional, just working up load) Can this cause large velocity diffrences? Bullets all loaded the same with H4831 can show as much as 30 to 60fps diffrence depending on grains of powder used with the heavier powder loads providing the larger diffrences. Could the bullet being jamed into the lands cause this? Thank's, Brad
Yep. Jamming it into the lans increases chamber pressure because less gas escapes around and then ahead of the bullet the bullet during ignition.

Last edited by WildRose; 11-16-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Seating bullets in the lands doesn't hurt a thing, I bet your not sorting the bergers by ogive length and your not using a comperator to check the seating depth, if you have one .010" in the lands, another .015" in and another .007" in then yes it will effect ES and SD. Try your combo with 115 noslers by jumping them and see if it brings the spread down if so that's probably your issue, bergers can be easy and they can be a pain in the *****!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBrad View Post
Are you getting the greater variation with the heavier charge?

If so try backing off a bit.

Are you seeing any pressure signs on your brass?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Depends on powder.
With Retumbo (AR2225) I get great results by jaming the 300gn Berger 0.015" into the lands to reduce ES and long range vertical.
Jaming assists uniform ignition with this slow powder.