Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bullet/factory load question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bullet/factory load question

thank you all for the advice! My search continues for my PERFECT round haha
Old 07-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
What's a Remington/Krieger? I know Remington, and I know Krieger... Did they at one time merge, or are they now merged?

I know Krieger and Criterion are now sister companies.
My gunsmith merges them. Criterion is a less expensive Krieger( cut rifling) . there are reports that some of the 40x rem had harts installed on them .
Old 07-30-2013, 05:34 PM

I have a buddy with a 300 WSM. That gun loves the 165 gr. fusion ammo. Under an inch at 100 with no real rest. He shot a 370" bull elk last year with that gun and it was DRT. Bullet performed great! Shot was a tad over 350 yds.

Based on that and other friends killing muleys with the same brand, I would not hesitate to use fusion bullets if I shot factory ammo. I also really like the nosler silver and balistic tips especially the 180 gr. versions. They shoot and perform really well.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
My gunsmith merges them. Criterion is a less expensive Krieger( cut rifling) . there are reports that some of the 40x rem had harts installed on them .
Back before very many barrel makers knew how to cut a stainless barrel hart made most of the good ones.

When Remington came out with the 7mm rem mag they had trouble with the barrel throats eroding and found that if they used stainless barrel life was improved. The problem was they couldn't make a quality stainless barrel so the commissioned Hart to make the stainless barrels for them.

If you look on the barrel there will be a Hart shaped proof mark in with all of the other proof marks. Remington said this mark was just a proof mark (What ever) Hart did this just to protect themselves.

The custom shop used a lot of the hart barrels until Remington finally learned how to make stainless barrels. At one time all 40x rifles were made in the custom shop.

J E CUSTOM