Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bullet/factory load question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bullet/factory load question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
Factory barrels are poor at best wow...maybe I shouldn't have spent 800 on an Xbolt then lol do I need to buy a Jew barrel for it?

The reason I said that is , I have never replaced a good custom barrel because it would not shoot, They were shot out from lots of rounds.

I have replaced most factory barrels for that reason and only a few because they just wanted a better barrel.

I have also had to lap many factory barrels just to make them shoot "OK".

That's not to say that you cant find a good factory barrel it,s just that the odds are against it.

I don't consider One MOA of deer good. there are lots of people that are ok with a rifle that shoots 1 MOA and that's fine for shorter distances. But I think that In this game 1/2 moa or better is a minimum requirement
for long distance.

Not trying to be sarcastic, But if factory barrels were very good the custom barrel makers would be in trouble because of the cost and Gun Smithing required to install one.

Rarely will you see a factory barreled rifle at a long range competition or on a rifle used for long shots
for game.

Nothing personal just an opinion based on over 50 years of shooting and hunting, also hours and hours of looking through a bore scope at factory and custom barrels.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-30-2013, 06:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
The reason I said that is , I have never replaced a good custom barrel because it would not shoot, They were shot out from lots of rounds.

I have replaced most factory barrels for that reason and only a few because they just wanted a better barrel.

I have also had to lap many factory barrels just to make them shoot "OK".

That's not to say that you cant find a good factory barrel it,s just that the odds are against it.

I don't consider One MOA of deer good. there are lots of people that are ok with a rifle that shoots 1 MOA and that's fine for shorter distances. But I think that In this game 1/2 moa or better is a minimum requirement
for long distance. Unfortunately I do not have tons of money for a new rifle.

Not trying to be sarcastic, But if factory barrels were very good the custom barrel makers would be in trouble because of the cost and Gun Smithing required to install one.

Rarely will you see a factory barreled rifle at a long range competition or on a rifle used for long shots
for game.

Nothing personal just an opinion based on over 50 years of shooting and hunting, also hours and hours of looking through a bore scope at factory and custom barrels.

J E CUSTOM
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I will find a round (other than federal fusion) that will shoot a pie plate at 400 yards. Thats what I am looking for...something that will hit the 8inch vitals of a deer at TOPS 400 yards, thats the farthest shot in our field.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member

some say the custom barrels are expensive. also they have a long wait. by the time you invest the time and ammo to find a good load you haved saved how much?? my wait was Always worth it. don't ever try a remington/ krieger . once you shoot one it is difficult to go back to factory.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

What's a Remington/Krieger? I know Remington, and I know Krieger... Did they at one time merge, or are they now merged?

I know Krieger and Criterion are now sister companies.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
some say the custom barrels are expensive. also they have a long wait. by the time you invest the time and ammo to find a good load you haved saved how much?? my wait was Always worth it. don't ever try a remington/ krieger . once you shoot one it is difficult to go back to factory.
@Muddrunner, I think ronin means the remington action in combo with the krieger barrel...also, at the OPs original question I think you might just have to spend the money to find that right round. It is out there, especially with your expectations. Higher end ammunition will easily hit a pie plate at 400 yards. I agree with JE Customs though since I consider 1/2 MOA the standard. See if you can borrow a lead slead or rig up something that will remove user error (just for testing purposes).
Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Gold Member

Is there a cheap version of lead sled out there? hopefully under 100...cheaper the better...
Old 07-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Gold Member

Heres a cheaper version on Cheaper than Dirt. See if there is one for sale on the forum as well. I am not saying you have to get one, but if you want to remove user error for testing purposes before you hone your skills then getting some type of shooting prop will def help you.

Caldwell The Lead Sled Solo