close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reply

Bullet/factory load question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 9,252
Re: Bullet/factory load question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
I was looking into the Federal premiums and noslers as the next ones I try but in 165 grains. The 165 grain federal fusions shot well while the 180 grain super X(winchester) shot terrible...not sure if that has anything to do with bullet weight or not but figured no need for 180 as I am not shooting anything bigger than a deer... BUT maybe ill try some as well. Maybe my gun just HATES the winchester Super X 180s lol
It's all in your rifling rate of twist. Some guns have a tighter twist and like heavier bullets. Most factory rifles have a lenient twist, and will shoot better with lighter weight bullets. Then again, sometimes things will surprise you.

If your gun has a slower twist, the 165's might be your best bet, but if it has a tighter twist, the 180's might shoot better.

I just saw where you had mentioned 180's earlier, so that's why I posted a bunch on 180gr loads. I don't have any WSM's, and have very little personal experience with shooting them. So that is about the extent of my knowledge with them. Just trying to be helpful.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  •   #16  
    Unread 07-29-2013, 01:52 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Aug 2012
    Posts: 960
    Re: Bullet/factory load question

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
    It's all in your rifling rate of twist. Some guns have a tighter twist and like heavier bullets. Most factory rifles have a lenient twist, and will shoot better with lighter weight bullets. Then again, sometimes things will surprise you.

    If your gun has a slower twist, the 165's might be your best bet, but if it has a tighter twist, the 180's might shoot better.

    I just saw where you had mentioned 180's earlier, so that's why I posted a bunch on 180gr loads. I don't have any WSM's, and have very little personal experience with shooting them. So that is about the extent of my knowledge with them. Just trying to be helpful.
    I have a browning x-bolt Hunter in 300WSM. looks like it has 1:10 twist rate... in a 23 inch barrel..."?
    Reply With Quote

      #17  
    Unread 07-29-2013, 02:23 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Location: az
    Posts: 3,168
    Re: Bullet/factory load question

    I had a remington sendero in 300 wsm ( i had it rechambereded from rsaum). it had a 1-10 twist it shot everything i tried great . i have a 300 win mag sendero now . it has a 1-10 twist is has shot everthing i have tried from 150 to 210.
    Reply With Quote
      #18  
    Unread 07-29-2013, 02:47 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Aug 2012
    Posts: 960
    Re: Bullet/factory load question

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
    I had a remington sendero in 300 wsm ( i had it rechambereded from rsaum). it had a 1-10 twist it shot everything i tried great . i have a 300 win mag sendero now . it has a 1-10 twist is has shot everthing i have tried from 150 to 210.
    Well then either I got a bad batch of winchester SuperX 180s or my gun is PICKY when it comes to ammo. I will have to try more ammo.
    Can anyone explain what the difference in premium ammo vs regular of a same brand is?
    Reply With Quote
      #19  
    Unread 07-29-2013, 03:50 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 6,927
    Re: Bullet/factory load question

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
    I had bad experience with winchester Super X 180s...2 of the 20 shells wouldnt chamber due to the brass being slightly streched at the neck...and the other 18 wouldnt group less than 7 inches at 200 yards...maybe I simply got a bad batch but the Super Xs left a sour taste in my mouth for Winchester. That being said...any reason to go with a 150 vs 165 vs 180 grains?

    I have not tried the 180 Super X (White box) Just the Supremes with the Nosler ballistic silver tip
    In the black box. It is Winchesters premium ammo and has performed well on game as well as accuracy.

    I have not had good luck with the Super X ammo ether. I think it is there bullet selection.

    The reason I recommend the 150 is velocity, performance and recoil. there is no need for higher BCs at 5 to 600 yard shots. So why pay for the high end bullets and ammo when its not needed. also the poster does not reload so some of these bullets are not available to him.

    One other thing most of the factory barrels are poor at best and are lightly contoured and it has been my experience that most Light barrels preform best with light bullets.(Less harmonic problems).

    Nothing wrong with using heaver bullets I just think they are needed for what he wants to do and pay for.

    I used 165s and 168s for 600 and 100 yard matches in a 308, So I know they will work in the WSMs

    Just my opinion

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote
      #20  
    Unread 07-29-2013, 07:02 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Aug 2012
    Posts: 960
    Re: Bullet/factory load question

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
    I have not tried the 180 Super X (White box) Just the Supremes with the Nosler ballistic silver tip
    In the black box. It is Winchesters premium ammo and has performed well on game as well as accuracy.

    I have not had good luck with the Super X ammo ether. I think it is there bullet selection.

    The reason I recommend the 150 is velocity, performance and recoil. there is no need for higher BCs at 5 to 600 yard shots. So why pay for the high end bullets and ammo when its not needed. also the poster does not reload so some of these bullets are not available to him.

    One other thing most of the factory barrels are poor at best and are lightly contoured and it has been my experience that most Light barrels preform best with light bullets.(Less harmonic problems).

    Nothing wrong with using heaver bullets I just think they are needed for what he wants to do and pay for.

    I used 165s and 168s for 600 and 100 yard matches in a 308, So I know they will work in the WSMs

    Just my opinion

    J E CUSTOM

    Factory barrels are poor at best wow...maybe I shouldn't have spent 800 on an Xbolt then lol do I need to buy a Jew barrel for it?
    Reply With Quote
      #21  
    Unread 07-29-2013, 09:32 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Alabama
    Posts: 9,252
    Re: Bullet/factory load question

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
    Factory barrels are poor at best wow...maybe I shouldn't have spent 800 on an Xbolt then lol do I need to buy a Jew barrel for it?
    Your X-Bolt barrel should be on par...Every A-Bolt II I've had was a tack driver with the factory barrel.

    The Rifle Basix 1.5lb trigger spring is the best $20 and 10 minutes you'll spend.
    __________________
    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

    "Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC