Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bullet/factory load question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bullet/factory load question

according to their site; the ammo company HSM sells some 300wsm with 168 bergers. that is what i would try. i would use 168 and under for deer. those fusion are not bad at 3".
Old 07-29-2013, 06:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
according to their site; the ammo company HSM sells some 300wsm with 168 bergers. that is what i would try. i would use 168 and under for deer. those fusion are not bad at 3".
I know the federal fusions arent grouping too bad in my gun, especially since the 3 inch group(at 200Yards) is probably due to my lack of steadiness(I am not using a lead sled and dont have access to one. I am using sand bags and trying to be as steady as possible with little to no flinching) But I have just heard that the federal fusions expload/fragment on impact with these high powered guns so I was looking to change to another round. I have shot a coyote and the entrance hole looked fine but the exit was enormous with lots of rips and such making me believe the bullet did fragment. The coyote was about 75 yards away. I will be shooting between 100-400 yards at Deer ONLY(unless another coyote comes my way). I am thinking 165 grainers to be what I am looking at but not sure what bullet "type" for expansion and what not. I know everyone has their own opinion, but just looking for some ideas on factory loads...maybe there are some rounds most people tend to like(which I will try) or rounds people tend to hate(which I will avoid, unless the others dont work out for accuracy).
Old 07-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member

having tried lot of different projectiles handloading. besides the (1)168 berger loads with a (3)165-(2)168 accubond. or even one with a (4)150 accubond. would be my other choices.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Big, try Nosler or Federal Premium ammo.

Nosler Custom Ammo 300 Winchester Short Mag (WSM) 180 Grain AccuBond

Nosler Trophy Grade Ammo 300 Winchester Short Mag (WSM) 180 AccuBond

Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammo 300 Winchester Short Mag (WSM) 180

Winchester Supreme Ammo 300 Winchester Short Mag (WSM) 180 Grain

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

I would also look at the Winchester supreme with the 150 grain ballistic silver tip.

They are not expensive and seam to shoot well in the WSMs.

I use them in the 7 WSM,300 WSM and the 325 with good accuracy and performance on game.

For the distance you intend to shoot the 150 grain is perfect on everything. If you plan on an Elk,
the 180s might be better but they are not necessary.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
I would also look at the Winchester supreme with the 150 grain ballistic silver tip.

They are not expensive and seam to shoot well in the WSMs.

I use them in the 7 WSM,300 WSM and the 325 with good accuracy and performance on game.

For the distance you intend to shoot the 150 grain is perfect on everything. If you plan on an Elk,
the 180s might be better but they are not necessary.

J E CUSTOM
I had bad experience with winchester Super X 180s...2 of the 20 shells wouldnt chamber due to the brass being slightly streched at the neck...and the other 18 wouldnt group less than 7 inches at 200 yards...maybe I simply got a bad batch but the Super Xs left a sour taste in my mouth for Winchester. That being said...any reason to go with a 150 vs 165 vs 180 grains?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Silver Member

I was looking into the Federal premiums and noslers as the next ones I try but in 165 grains. The 165 grain federal fusions shot well while the 180 grain super X(winchester) shot terrible...not sure if that has anything to do with bullet weight or not but figured no need for 180 as I am not shooting anything bigger than a deer... BUT maybe ill try some as well. Maybe my gun just HATES the winchester Super X 180s lol