Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bullet drop rods, worth having?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Silver Member

Re: Bullet drop rods, worth having?

helidriver. ive done the same thing. though i spilt a little powder so the charge was a little lower. was just in my .223 though. would have been nervous if it was my 7mmwsm.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:31 PM

I always have one handmade rod, because compress powder increases COAL.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helidriver72 View Post
A last ditch fix if you have a bullet stuck in the riflings is to pull the bullet from a loaded round and then carefully without spilling the powder load it behind the bullet and shoot it out. I've done it,it works.

Ya, I guess that would work
I do something that will make the purests freak out.
I always pack a screw together steel cleaning rod with me. Even for day hunts. For myself I may need it for cleaning snow, mud, dirt ect out of the barrel. If I'm hunting with people that use rifles or ammo that I suspect to not be reliable then knocking brass out of the chamber or bullets out of the barrel can be necessary. You can beat on a steel rod pretty hard.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Gold Member

I do the same thing. It's a little Birchwood Casey rod that all fits into it's carry tube. It even has jags, thread adapters and a screwdriver tip. Short, light, stainless and handy.
Take a look at it. I've carried one for years.

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Clean...ng-System.aspx
Old 06-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Silver Member

My dad has stuck entire rounds in his gun several times. We shoot identical rounds in our 7mm. He has grabbed my ammo several times and then has stuck it in his gun. He's my dad. I just deal with it. The end result is his gun is done until the bullet is removed. I would imagine if any piece of aluminum, brass or soft metal, cut down to pack size, would remove the bullet.

This is a great idea. I carry a rod in the truck, but not on my horse, or my pack. We carry bore snakes just to clear the barrels after hunting, but the small metal rod is ingenious.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member

Old thread but still good advice.

A few sections of cleaning rods that thread together can save you. Tuck away easily in a pack and weight next to nothing.

I did the whole "piece of fence" thing as well several years back while hunting coyotes. I was a ways from the truck using my little beater NEF .223. Don't know if they all have this problem, but if you open the breach on a spent cartridge and then close it without removing the case the extractor will not grab the rim and you have to push it out with a rod.
I know our Barretts like to break extractors at the worst possible time!

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.