Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bullet dilema for long range deer hunting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bullet dilema for long range deer hunting.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by demented View Post
While there are many bullets more than capable of killing a deer past 350 yards, my problem is the terrain where I hunt. Most open areas that allow a longer shot will be surrounded by thickets so bad that unless walking within ten feet of a downed deer, locating one is tough. Most bullets I've used (factory loads) will certainly kill but they will not leave a blood trail to follow since they won't pass through deer at longer ranges. The few bonded bullet loads I've tried will pass through but a 7mm R Mag seems to lack the velocity necessary for them to open up much past 400 yards, exit holes were dime size. Anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you solve it?
The 150 E-Tip has a BC of .498 vs the 150 TTSX with a BC of .450 The TSX is even less. The E-Tip is also made from a guilded metal which is tougher than the copper TSX/TTSX. The Hornady GMX only has a 139 gr offering but it has a BC 0f .486 and will ballistically run very close to the 150 E-Tip. It is also a guilded metal. The 160 AB has a BC of .531 and will also be very ballistically close to the 150 E-Tip.

I'll be doing some load development for a 7RM soon and my bullet choices willbe the 150 E-Tip, 139 GMX and 160 AB. I'll pick the best shooter. they should all leave you with good exit holes out to 700 yds or so depending on your elevations and load.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 11-30-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demented View Post
While there are many bullets more than capable of killing a deer past 350 yards, my problem is the terrain where I hunt. Most open areas that allow a longer shot will be surrounded by thickets so bad that unless walking within ten feet of a downed deer, locating one is tough. Most bullets I've used (factory loads) will certainly kill but they will not leave a blood trail to follow since they won't pass through deer at longer ranges. The few bonded bullet loads I've tried will pass through but a 7mm R Mag seems to lack the velocity necessary for them to open up much past 400 yards, exit holes were dime size. Anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you solve it?
I would give the 154 Grain interbond a try. It has a .525 BC and should easily be above 2200 fps at 500yards. The interbonds make very large mushrooms and hold their weight well at 90%+ retention at reasonable velocities.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

I'd be interested in the GMX performance. Inquiring mind wants to know.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!