Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

building a new rifle but need some input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Silver Member

Re: building a new rifle but need some input

[ QUOTE ]
"Optics- what i listed will prob have to do"

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont sell yourself short. That leupold is a very good scope and will do everything you need it to do, and do it well. As long as its got target turrets you'll be fine.

As far as the caliber goes your going to get a lot of different oppinions. What you need to do is lay some parameters. Right now were sitting at 15 and under, targets up to the size of elk/moose out to 600yds. Maybe farther?

A 308win will work at that range, but it is MUCH easier with a round in the 7mmWSM and 300win mag class. So much so that I personaly wouldnt even cosider it. I think a good starting place is the 7mmWSM shooting 160+ grain bullets, with the various 30cals being even better.

Do you reload? Do you care if factory <u>match quality</u> ammo is available? A muzzle brake is almost mandatory to be able to spot you own hits. Any of the medium size cartridges in a 12-15lb gun with a MB will recoil about like a 243win. Some of them(VIAS) wont increase the noise to the shooter all that much. While some of them will considerably(OPS-Inc), but will provide slightly more recoil reduction.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

Dan,
I asked a similar question about two weeks ago and received several helpful comments you may wish to review. See - advice - deer and feral pig gun under the Basics topic.
Good luck.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:48 AM

Call Clay Spencer Ph#434-293--6836 located in Scottsville VA.He is the best&amp; cheapest rifle builder in the country. His rifles are winning the major rifle competitions.He just built me a custom 300 win mag. If you are like me this will probably be the only custom rifle I will own. It will shoot one hole groups and the cost is around $2300 if you furnish the action. This guy is a serious rifle builder. I find out about him in a rticle by Jim Carmichael in Outdoor life Mag.I can asure you will be very happy with his work.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Gold Member

you know, we can discuss the newer cartridges like the 6.5x284, 260 rem, the WSM's and a bunch of wildcats, weatherby mags and whatever,, we can talk about em all day and night.. but you know what ive been using to take every kind of deer and pig from as near as 3 feet to as far away as i'd want to shoot a game animal? the plain jane , good old 30-06. would be kinda nice to to go that way in 2006, centeniel year and all that. you can take any game in Europe with it, most game in North America ( theres only the big bears that i'd want something more powerfull for) a bunch of game in Africa with also drop with a well placed shot from a 30-06.Pete, ( P.S. Ward. i'm currently messing about with a 300WSM knecked up to 9.3, just for fun)
Old 10-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

Pete, not wishing to steal DanC's post but do you have the equipment to do a 7mm WSM with a long throat to accomodate the heavier 7mm bullets?
Old 10-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Silver Member

hey massy

dave kiff will do you a reamer to your specs for about 150dollars mate. just get one to your specs bud and build what you want i'd say. but get pete to build it of course!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Gold Member

whats all this talk of deep throats? err.
Andy yes and yes. not wanting to highjack anyones post(unless i'm nxs and luppy bashing) and i'm ordering some new reamers this week anyway. Thanks for the vote of confidence Derek. scope there yet?
Pete