Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

building a new rifle but need some input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Gold Member

Re: building a new rifle but need some input

W, in can't resist that invertation, now if you pick the right day on the exchange rate, you will get change out of $2000 for S&B PMII.
got to agree on the caliber choices and points made,
but i'd start at 260rem. next step. 6.5x284, then a 300 ultra. but one shouldn't ignore the WSM's.
The worlds your oyster and the skys the limit.
Pete
Old 10-27-2005, 11:30 PM

Pete: I am still leery of the SMís and feel that they might be more of a barrel burner than one would think. Do you know anyone that has put 500 rounds of a SM cartridge (7mm or 300) downrange? I would be surprised if it didn't suffer from aggressive erosion.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:37 AM

I like my 308 and first choice was to just keep it for deer hunting for a few more years and go strictly target.its pretty much junk at this point.I wouldnt shoot anything over 300 yards with it like i said think i just liked shooting it to much. it wasnt a custome but was a pretty nice rifle when i bought it. I pretty much use my super redhawk for game under a 100 yards. The 44 mag does a wonderful job on whitetail and coyotes.
Yes my first choice was to build the best 308 i could afford. But after all the back and forth i have went through trying to get good info i started leaning toward another 7mag. But im so far out ot the loop on whats out there, what you can do with it and what actually works and what doesnt that putting money into a custome that isnt going to perform much better or any better than a off the shelf rifle is frustrating.
From what i have read on this forum most of you all are a few notches above most of us as far as what works with what rifle and what doesnt, what barrels to buy or who to have make them.
Optics- what i listed will prob have to do untill after i get the gun built.{still got kids at home and trying to run a farm and work 7-[on call 24]
;as far as the Cal. pretty sure unless i can figure out how to get a 300 to kick like a 223 prob looking at a 7 mag heavy barrel with a muzzle break.[really want to spend some time on the range]or in other words setting on my front deck shooting targets all the way across the farm]
Seems to me that from what i asked of you all that its between the 308 and 7 mag.Any info on building both and what rounds to shoot through them would really be great.
I am really impressed with the how quick of a responce and the amount of information thank you all for helping.
wish i had found this site would of saved me a little time in this project. think ill go back through some of the old threads and see if i can find some of the info i need there. See if i can find spacifics on what works and what doesn`t and figure out hot how to fit it into the budget.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:24 AM
Gold Member

Here is my long range hunting rig, Savage 116 SFAK, with factory brake, Glass bed Duramax stock, 20 MOA Rail and Horus vision Scope/replaced the IOR in the photo. Caliber; 300 Rum. Shoots Sub MOA with factory ammo and Barrel.

Gun itself was about 490.00

in photo black rifle

Rakkasan

U.S. Army Sniper
"Opening Minds Worldwide"

Old 10-28-2005, 08:04 AM
Silver Member

DanC,

Please forgive me but I got to ask,

Pete,

That saying "the worlds your oyster", do you know where that came from?

Thanks,
Carl
Old 10-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Gold Member

I can speak on behalf of the 300 SAUM.

I have fired right at 700 rounds through my Model 7 and the groups are only getting better. It took about 200 rounds to get her broken in, but now its paying off.

As far as barrel buring goes, my loads are the following:

59gr Varget 140 Barnes X
58gr Varget 150 Nosler AB
53.5gr Varget 175 SMK

For a 300WM, my loads were:

77 gr IMR 4831 150 gr Nosler Partition
78 gr IMR 4831 165 gr Sierra HPBT
77.5 gr RL 22 180 gr SMK

The SAUM is burning about 30 percent less powder. jm2c
Old 10-28-2005, 10:06 AM
Silver Member