Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

building a new rifle but need some input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2005, 08:23 PM

building a new rifle but need some input

Hi all,
I`m new to the server. Kinda been reading through some of the posts. Seems like weeks of trying to find good info has finally got me here. After not book marking the site and took me 3 hours to find it again.
Now like every other person that shows up here out of the blue I need help some help. Don`t figure huh
My delima ,talked to a couple of gun dealers about building a long range rifle and of course they dont want to put in thier input because if i dont like it they end up with a bad sell.{basically}I`m real partial to my 308 but it wont do the job i want to do so.
Long range target/white tail / mule deer/and hopefully some day northern big game{elk/moose} and as so many before have spent 3x what i should have on guns trying to figure out what other people already know about. I have decided on the optics if it will hold up to the rifle -leupold vari-x III6.5x20x50mm mill dot.
was thinking 7mm mag or 300mag not sure im even in the ball park for what i want anymore. Have had so much advice that disputes what i have read that even trying to build a custome is a 50/50 chance of getting what i want.and yes recoil is a factor less is better im getting old when my marlin 444 sends me back in the house rubbing my shoulder after 12 rounds.I never shot anything with a muzzle break but a 50 cal in the army and it was mounted to a piece of steal. So u can see my info is limited.I`m a poor boy from Mo. so 5k on a rifle is out of the question for me. So i start with what i have wich is the optics if they will hold up. Any help on building a custome and figureing out a cal. that isnt going to make me have to take out a loan on my house to pay for it would help thanks.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

Re: building a new rifle but need some input

DanC,
First of all there is nothing the good ol' .308 can't do to 500yds.in the 48. (some may argue this)

To what range do you plan on shooting?
What game will you be shooting mostly?
How heavy of a rifle will you put up with?
Are you thinking of light weight? 7lbs. or less or something in the 10-15lb range.
From reading your post what came to my mind was a 7MMWSM
set up to shoot bullets in the 160gr. - 180gr. range,built something maybe like this.....

this rifle weighs around 12lb with optics.

HTH,
308nate
Old 10-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I will 2nd what 308NATE said about the 308 in the lower 48 out to 500 or even 600 yards with the right bullet and of course bullet placement which is critical for any caliber. The nice thing about the 308 is bullet placment seems to be easier to achieve than other calibers, at least for someone with limited experiance. They are easy to load for, like lots of powders and bullets ect...They dont kick much, barrels last forever so you can really get to know your rifle. The list goes on. Also the 308 is a FINE long range target round capable of 1200-1300 yard paper punching with the right bullets. Dont underestimate the 308's ability to cleanly take big bull moose in the arctic. We do it up here all the time. Even elk if you pay real close attention to shot placement.

If you want something more potent, anything from a 7 rem mag to the 300 or 338 ultra mag would suit your needs. Choose a caliber that you are interested in and one that would make you feel proud to have. They all do a pretty good job and each has potential in its own unique way, Just remember ballistics and such always look good or bad on paper. You cannot choose a cartridge based on "paper". Choose one you like and go from there.

As far as price, have something built a peice at a time. It ussually take months to get a good barrel. If you pay for the blank up front, by the time you get it you can afford it to be cut and chambered ect...It took me over a year to be able to afford to get mine completed but it was worth the wait.

Good luck!!

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:28 PM

I agree with Everything posted here. However, long range hunting/shooting really starts at 600 yards. (My Opinion). I like the .300 win mag, (6.5 x 284 if hand loading) however the 300 ultra mag is pretty popular as well. In any regard, the cost of a custom rifle without the glass will run you approximately $2,800.00 and up. For the glass, (and my buddy Pete Lincoln will argue this) should either be a Night Force or a Schmidt Bender. Pete will tell you to purchase the S&B... An additional $2,000.00 and change. A Pro-Grade package makes all the difference in the World.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:34 PM

Thank you for the reply.
Sorry didnt want to through everything out there every one would of been bored by the time they got through reading it.First off the 308 i got now im starting to lose my groups after 300 yds. been a great rifle but pretty much wore it out love shooting it i guess. Mostly white tail deer.And a few mule deer when i get the chance to go north.
Wich seems to be getting further apart in years.Target-1200 yards across my farm. Would like to stay under 15lbs.prefer bottom feed box.the 7 mag i had {all stock} kicked like a mule with balistic tip factory loads wich brings me to the muzzle break. If i get the chance to hunt elk i dont want to have to go buy a new rifle to do it after building one.
Sorry going to have to post this and go look to see if i answered all the info you asked for.
I want to build something im goig to enjoy shooting not be beat to death by the recoil if possible.Im somewhat comfortable shooting out to 500-600 yards but the rifle i have now wont do it with out a total rebuild and would rather put my money in a new one and try to get as close to what i mentioned in one rifle. And still shoot as flat as possible but have the knock down power to take larger game. As i said my info over 500 yards is limited and im just getting back into shooting.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Other than a rainbow trajectory and a whopping amount of knock down power, youre describing the 308. 1200 yard paper, 500-600 yard deer round, not kicking hard ect...

With a laser RF a trajectory is nothing to worry about and you dont need huge amounts of knock down power unless youre after a big Alaska brown bear and even then you are required to have a guide up here and he will have a big gun with lots of knock down power to back you up if things go south. The 308 will kill an elk no need to buy another rifle if you go elk hunting here or there.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

You might be able to get into a custom for less than you think. What action is your .308 on now? If you were willing to donate that action you could get something build up for just a little more than a new rifle would cost. That action trued up (provided its a decent bolt action platform) would be better to build off of than a new mass produced action. I'd say talk to some of the smiths. Kirby was very helpful in making my project happen with a very limited budget. As to your scope choice, I think it would work great for you. Sure, some of the higher end scopes might be better, but you certainly don't need them, and if the cost is prohibitive (I could barely afford my leupy, and can't afford another yet) don't let that hold the project back.

Carl