Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

building my weatherby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 05:53 AM
Silver Member

building my weatherby

Ok here it goes. Ever since I was a little kid I have wanted a Weatherby Mark V rifle. This stems from my grandfather’s love of his 270 Weatherby mag which he hunts deer and elk with and his brothers 7mm magnum also built on the Mark V action. When I was about 14 or 15 I was given a Weatherby Vanguard chambered in 300 win mag, while it was a beautiful rifle it was not a Mark V. Well I grew up and moved to Las Vegas where there is not a lot of hunting still I wanted a Mark V and decided to start on the road of Building one for a long range target shooter. I started by finding a cheap rifle on line and purchased it.

The first thing I did was to place an order with Hart Rifle Barrels to re-barrel the action. This put me on the 9 month waiting list. While I waited I began to modify the rest of the weapon starting with the stock. I purchased a Bell & Carlson fully adjustable stock and bedded the action.

I also put a Versa-pod stud in the for-grip to utalize the Versa-pod system

The next step was to paint the stock to give it some shine.

Then I Patiently waited for the phone call from Hart to tell me they were ready. Soon the day came and I began to get anxious as I waited for my rifle to return. Just before Christmas it did.

Now all I needed was a detachable mag system and I would be ready to go. This became a problem as it seemed there where none on the market. Luckily I was given a low end milling machine for Christmas and started working on making my own.

Once finished a friend of mine convinced me that we should make the mag system available to other shooters that also would like a detachable magazine system. So we have.

The mag that we are using is Wyatt’s longest mag so the shooter can load to a COAL of 3.79in. This allows for shooters to lengthen out there cartridges to get closer to the lans. While for some calibers it does not give quite enough space it still provides a fast, easy and reliable reloading process. For more info click the link below.
Weatherby DBM Mark V - Sniper's Hide Forums

Now it is finished and shooting it is a blast.
I still get a lot of guff from my family as paper targets do not eat as well as elk but they all still admire the rifle.

Lsm
Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Gold Member

Re: building my weatherby

Mighty nice!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Silver Member

INDEED! nice rifle. the Bell and Carlson fully adjustable stock is different but that one looks really good very nice build congrats.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Bronze Member

WOW!!!

Thought I was the only one crazy enough to build on the MKV Action!!!

However, I am staying with the original stock, and also the original 270 Winchester chambering.

The rifle is a Mark V Sporter...that detachable mag does indeed look nice...how many 270 Winchester rounds will it hold??
Old 09-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270 MKV View Post
WOW!!!

Thought I was the only one crazy enough to build on the MKV Action!!!

However, I am staying with the original stock, and also the original 270 Winchester chambering.

The rifle is a Mark V Sporter...that detachable mag does indeed look nice...how many 270 Winchester rounds will it hold??
we don't have a mag system specifically for the 270 right now but we are looking at making one in the future.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Gold Member

Nice rig, how does it shoot?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Silver Member

I haven't really got a chance to run it through the loops yet as i have been preoccupied with getting the detachable mag system going. I did get a load worked up using the 208 a-max that shoots 1/2 moa @ 100 regularly. Velocity is 3060 with a low of 3053 and a high of 3065 and one spike of 3100. I dont know how far it holds moa but it hits a 12in steel plate @ 1000 well enough.