Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Building my first rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Bronze Member

Building my first rifle.

Hi everyone. I have been following this site for awhile and decided to register. There is alot of great info here. I am fairly new to long range shooting. I have 2 custom mcwhorter rifles. One in 270wby and another in 243wssm. I want another nice rifle in some form of 30 cal. but this time I have the urge to order the components and do the work myself. I have fooled around a little with single shot rifles like the TC encore but have not done any work on a bolt action rifle.
I was thinking of buying the action, barrel, stock, etc.. as well as the tools needed and putting the thing together at home. Is this something that a novice like me can do safely. Does anyone have any suggestions of any videos or books that I can pick up on this. I am fairly technically capable and am good with my hands. I just think I would get more satisfaction out of something that I had an input on.
I do not have a lathe so I would have to buy a chambered barrel. Any suggestions on barrel, action, stock, etc.. combos that would be good for a first time builder.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!!
BOB
Old 01-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Building my first rifle.

Without a lathe or a smith, you need to strongly consider a Savage. Look at this thread...
Savage 12 F-Class Rebarrel

I'm going through something similar and also wanting to buy a lathe at some point. But, Savage is the only way to go if you want to do it all yourself.

Also, you can buy just the action from Savage.

One aspect of the Savage that I don't hear much is that you're not removing any metal. So, if you get off a little, or don't like the results, just start again. Once you remove metal from a 700 or other action, it's near impossible to put it back like it was. So, measure 3 times and cut once.

Of course, you can go with TC Encore or Blaser and pretend that you're rebarelling, etc... But, that's no fun.

Good luck!
Richard
Old 01-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

I have to agree with rscott. I just put together my first rifle, and it is a Savage action. Get the tools, headspacing gauges, and your in business. Then if you want to build your own stock, then you will need wood working tools, or knowledge of working with fiberglass. The Savage is the best route in my opinion for setting up your own rifle.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

I had my Savage built by Kevin Rayhill of Stockade Gunstocks. He sells excellent composite stocks that you can glass bed yourself and finish the stock by sanding and painting it yourself like I did. He bedded mine, but I have done it to quite a few over the years.

Look at this and it will give you some pointers on how I did mine:

My new long range popgun. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Popguns stock is finished. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph
Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice Joseph.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member

Not sure if you have seen mine yet, but here it is:

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Not sure if you have seen mine yet, but here it is:

Tank

Wow!! That is a sweet looking rig. Who should I contact for buying the action, barrel, and stock? Thanks for the help!!