Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Building First custom rifle..Suggestions/Reccomendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Banned

Building First custom rifle..Suggestions/Reccomendations

Hello,
I am in the process of building my first custom rifle. I am going for a " long range tactical" type rifle. I want it to be fairly heavy but still "carryable" i am planning on going with a 26-28 inch fluted barrel with a break of some type and i already have a rem 700 action and was planning on a mcmillan A5 stock but they wait time on those is hellish right now. as for caliber and cartridge im leaning toward the .300 dakota or possibly an allen xpress when i find the data on them. any suggestions appreciated
Old 09-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Locotrician, I would have Joel Russo build your stock. He makes awesome Laminated A-5 Replicas. He will have the stock to you in about 5 weeks and it will be much cheaper than the McMillan A-5 and just as good.

He inlets for all actions.

Just make a post asking for Joel Russo, and he will get back to you pretty quickly.

Wildcat
Old 09-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Gold Member

What are you planning on using it for ?? ranges etc ???
Old 09-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like the place for a 300 RUM !

I checked in to the 300 Dakota and it is a proprietary cartridge (you
have to buy the brass from them most of the time and they are
very proud of it.

Also it is based on a shortened 404 with a larger bolt face than the
magnum bolt face of the RUM.

If your Remington 700 action has the magnum bolt face it's allmost
just a rebarrel job and brass and loaded ammo is available.

Dont get me wrong I love the wildcats but only if they offer a significant
advantage over a factory cartridge.

Just my thoughs
J E CUSTOM
Old 09-20-2007, 12:49 AM
Banned

ok, well regarding the stock i didnt really want to go with a wood stock i was going for a fiberglass stock but i do appreciate the info and might end up going that way due to the cost and turn around time.

and in regards to the 300rum...i know it would be easier but im not going for easy and the data i have seen has shown the .300 dakota to be around 150-200 fps faster that a .300win so to me that is a signifigant difference for the wildcat over the .300win ,,,i thought about the .300rum for a while and just kinda decided to go with a wildcat...does anyone know the difference between the two off the top of thier head...in terms of velocity and case capacity and grains used in each ...efficency comparison?

thanks for the replies keep them coming.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

On the stock---might consider Tom Manners as well. Don't want to hit this one too hard here but I have bought my last Micky stock. Too many problems (yes plural not just one but several) that should have been caught before they ever shipped to me or my Smith.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Dont know if they have anything you like but robertson composits make some nice f-class stocks and you can them pretty quickly.