Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Build on Vangaurd?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Build on Vangaurd?

I had a 257 Weatherby built on one. I used a Brux# 4 Contour and a B&C Medaist Stock. It fit perfect with the Brux #4. The gun is incredibly accurate. I couldn't be happier and would have zero reservations about about building another.

As others have said, be sure to check with your smith, as some will not build on them due to the metric threading.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Silver Member

After speaking with seller last night he wants more than I was willing to give and I believe may of regretted offering to sell it. The hunt is still on. I'm going to start a new thread to build my new rifle piece by piece and look fwd to yal's input. Thank's, Brad
Old 11-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Gold Member

You used to be able to pick up a Howa for under $300 pretty easy. I bought the donor my dad used to build his 6.5-06ai for $275. It was one of the cheap, plastic stocked models but it didn't really matter because all he used for his 6.5 build was the receiver. Now they seem to cost as much as a Rem 700.

There is a guy over on snipershide that specializes in all things Howa related and I think he even has a det. mag. system for Howa's. I don't remember if he does an extended mag box or not. It's been some time since I was on that site.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

I offered $300 but the seller stated he had nearly that much in timminey trigger and scope rings. I understand his point howeve, I just wanted it as a donator as I intend to replace stock and barrel. We just didn't come to an agrement. Brad
Old 11-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Gold Member

I would definitely factor in the trigger and rings into the cost if I were you. Even if you pay $400 for it, that would be better than finding another one for $300 and then having to by the Timney and rings. Just a thought...