Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Build thread for PHPD1295

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: Build thread for PHPD1295

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
That should do.

The last one I named was "Final Retribution"... It isn't a hunting rifle.
wildrose, Let's see a pic of Final Retribution along with the details on her
Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
These two photos show a few things. The brake has been tapered to match the barrel, and blended seamlessly. For entertainment, the barrel taper is .067 degrees. In keeping with the short, burly barrel, I added a little wall thickness between the ports for a stout look. I cut the thread tenon length and crown after the barrel has been timed. This allows me to place the crown flush with the first port for easy cleaning. An exaggerated recessed crown is cut on the front of the brake for looks.
A while back on this thread Wildrose posted this "Thanks again for starting up this thread. I think it will help a lot of people begin to understand the difference in an of the rack gun vs something crafted by an artisan."
I think this really defines what Lorenzo is doing on this build and every job he takes on. In this case I requested a very thick barrel (M40) contour and I wanted it cut short at 20" for use in a deer blind. Because of this when Lorenzo cut the barrel to length the end of the barrel was thicker than the average off the shelf muzzle brake. He didn't just slap on a muzzle brake and do it "half ass". He went the extra mile and hand crafted a custom muzzle brake that would follow the barrel contour perfectly and make it look like part of the barrel. I think that this attention to detail shows the difference between a true craftsman building the best rifle possible and a run of the mill gunsmith building a gun from a bunch of parts from a catalog and calling it a custom gun.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Got to function and accuracy test today. Can't post a pic of the rifle yet, Bill wants to be surprised. Here's the first five rounds out of the rifle. Factory ammo from Wal mart. Two rounds to sight in and blow the oil out, three for group. This is just a hint of the rifles potential. Love the rifle except for the bolt on the wrong side. I love these custom rigs! Remember the old days? Sometimes it'd take a whole box of ammo to get sighted. The scope wouldn't take the adjustment, then it'd jump clear across the target. By the time you got close the factory barrel was hot and shooting all over the place.....
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Build thread for PHPD1295-lt-target.jpg  
Old 08-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
Got to function and accuracy test today. Can't post a pic of the rifle yet, Bill wants to be surprised. Here's the first five rounds out of the rifle. Factory ammo from Wal mart. Two rounds to sight in and blow the oil out, three for group. This is just a hint of the rifles potential. Love the rifle except for the bolt on the wrong side. I love these custom rigs! Remember the old days? Sometimes it'd take a whole box of ammo to get sighted. The scope wouldn't take the adjustment, then it'd jump clear across the target. By the time you got close the factory barrel was hot and shooting all over the place.....
Looks like you may have a shooter there!......Rich
Old 08-23-2012, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phpd1295 View Post
Normally I would but I don't trust myself in this case. I feel like a kid at Christmas. I know I will peek and ruin the surprise. This thread is worse than crack! I am checking for updates several times a day
Where is the will power
Old 08-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Silver Member

If that square above the bullseye is an inch that group looks like 1/2 moa with cheap ammo. I can't wait to see what match ammo or handloads can do!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phpd1295 View Post
If that square above the bullseye is an inch that group looks like 1/2 moa with cheap ammo. I can't wait to see what match ammo or handloads can do!
The inner circle of the bull is .38 for reference.

Don't forget to email your address.