Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Build thread for PHPD1295

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Build thread for PHPD1295

Congratulations to you and your son!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

All right, I had several actions and barrels to do in this batch. Ready to move forward with this one again.

Bill chose a 20" barrel. This is a shorter barrel than I can do through the headstock with my chuck installed. Saturday I built a spider and welded it to a face plate to run the short barrel. The face plate is cast iron and has been used with the lathe for a few years. It must have been saturated with oil, proving challenging to weld.

For the stout barrel contour, I chose to blend a brake to the barrel. This required building a brake to suit. In this photo, I have installed the brake and am cutting the taper to blend the brake and barrel.

This required dialing in off the bore to thread, crown, and ream the brake. Then, I dialed in the outside of the barrel so I could shape the brake to match perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Build thread for PHPD1295-bill-brake-.jpg  
Old 07-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

These two photos show a few things. The brake has been tapered to match the barrel, and blended seamlessly. For entertainment, the barrel taper is .067 degrees. In keeping with the short, burly barrel, I added a little wall thickness between the ports for a stout look. I cut the thread tenon length and crown after the barrel has been timed. This allows me to place the crown flush with the first port for easy cleaning. An exaggerated recessed crown is cut on the front of the brake for looks.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Build thread for PHPD1295-blended-tapered-.jpg   Build thread for PHPD1295-done-.jpg  

Old 08-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

I've been in contact with Lorenzo and we are at the point where he needs to stop posting pics of the build to maintain the surprise for the me. He is predicting about two weeks for cleanup, assembly and test firing. As soon the rifle is here Lorenzo will post more pics of the build process and of the finished project. I should have it in mid August which leaves plenty of time for load testing and development before deer season.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phpd1295 View Post
I've been in contact with Lorenzo and we are at the point where he needs to stop posting pics of the build to maintain the surprise for the me. He is predicting about two weeks for cleanup, assembly and test firing. As soon the rifle is here Lorenzo will post more pics of the build process and of the finished project. I should have it in mid August which leaves plenty of time for load testing and development before deer season.
You lucky dog! He won't finish mine till around November, but that should give me time to get ready for Christmas/New Years coyotes
Old 08-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phpd1295 View Post
Can't you just go on the honor system and not look? This is a great thread.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 338 View Post
Can't you just go on the honor system and not look? This is a great thread.
Normally I would but I don't trust myself in this case. I feel like a kid at Christmas. I know I will peek and ruin the surprise. This thread is worse than crack! I am checking for updates several times a day