Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Build thread for PHPD1295

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Build thread for PHPD1259

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
400F, lots of patience and a cheater bar?
I started with Kroil (It smells so bad it must help). I spray it through the base hole and anywhere it can soak into the threads. I milled flats on this barrel and clamped it in a vise. I heat the action from the bottom until the loctite melts and bubbles through the base hole. With the action supported, an action wrench and 3' bar provide the torque. The secret is a brass mallet. The big bar allows me to apply leverage with one hand, while tapping the action with the brass mallet. They let go with a pop.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
I started with Kroil (It smells so bad it must help). I spray it through the base hole and anywhere it can soak into the threads. I milled flats on this barrel and clamped it in a vise. I heat the action from the bottom until the loctite melts and bubbles through the base hole. With the action supported, an action wrench and 3' bar provide the torque. The secret is a brass mallet. The big bar allows me to apply leverage with one hand, while tapping the action with the brass mallet. They let go with a pop.
That's what I thought. Not many things as "nice" as 30 year old red loctite and thirty plus years of grit and grime to help hold something together!

I had a 700 BDL 7mm Mag that was made circa 1977 that was out of true so many ways it was utterly impossible to get it to shoot decently. By the time I added up everything I'd spent on it over the years before finally getting it to shoot decently I literally could have bought three very nice customs. Remington's QC was so bad during that period I'm seriously surprised the company survived.

Thanks again for starting up this thread. I think it will help a lot of people begin to understand the difference in an of the rack gun vs something crafted by an artisan.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
So I guess what you are saying is that the barrel is no longer good?
I am just glad you were able to get the barrel and action apart without any damage to the action. By the way you were right. It is a form of devious torture to see bits and pieces while waiting for the finished project!
I still want to be surprised with the final look of the build. I know you have some color schemes in mind that will set this off.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Build thread for PHPD1295

Fist step in chambering is to map the thread tenon. This one is .960 long, 1.07 in diameter, with a .705 counterbore .150 deep.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Build thread for PHPD1295-map-action.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

The barrel is dialed in for maximum .0002 run out. The .0002 is sometimes necessary for bushing clearance. Once dialed in, I turn the thread tenon to length and diameter. I will go through the process rather quickly, as I covered it well in my muzzle brake thread.
Build thread for PHPD1295-thread-tenon.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

I indicate the barrel at every step to catch it if it slips. Barrels are held lightly to avoid cutting them while under stress. Threading is next. This is my first test fit. The action has just picked up a thread and turns on about a quarter turn. I cut the threads by advancing the compound along the thread angle until this point. This eliminates cutter chatter. From this point, I will advance the cross slide directly into the threads to clean both faces. Very light cuts are taken to provide a tight thread fit and avoid chatter.
Build thread for PHPD1295-test.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Silver Member

GRIT, this is also getting me excited for my edge that you are putting together! It is always great to be able to see the progress of your build.

Mike