Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

build or buy???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Bronze Member

build or buy???

Hey guys hope all is well

I'm thinking about getting a new rifle but cant make up my mind on how i want to do it.I have been thinking about building a 7 rem mag or getting the lightweight long range hunter from Shawn carlock in 7 rem mag. Have any of you delt this rifle? from shawn is it a top performer? or would you build one? I"m currently shootin a rem sendero sf2 in 300 win mag built by jim seed at center shot.thanks for all the input. and happy shooting
Old 06-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: build or buy???

Although I have no personal experience with Shawn, I've heard nothing but rave reviews of any rig built by Shawn. Hopefully others in the know will comment but I don't think you could go wrong with one built by Shawn.

Last edited by Chas1; 06-13-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Bronze Member

Shawn is a solid dude. I went to his shop to pick up my rifle and it is a very professional operation, you can just tell by being there that he's a perfectionist. I hope to do business with him again. Results don't lie, there are a lot of people on here who have customs built by him and I've never seen negative feedback (other than having to wait to get one).
Old 06-14-2010, 07:54 AM
Gold Member

Shawn built his Stalker for me in 338 rum - the only thing I did different on the Stalker from what he has on the web site is put a #5 contour barrel on it. The entire experience with him was very good. He did an excellent job of listening to my wants and needs in a rifle and built me exactly what I wanted. The gun wears a Nightforce 2.5x10 scope. The quality of his product is second to none.

In the same breath I have to say that Jim at Center Shot Rifles is also a great gun smith. He has done work on several of my guns and is in the process of building a 300 win and a 223 for me.

Either way you cant go wrong.
RMNS 8:28
Old 06-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Gold Member

I'm the type of person that sticks with what works. Jim built my custom rifle last year and I'm nothing but satisfied. He is a great guy to deal with and he will build my next custom rifle. That being said, I have heard nothing but good things about Shawn. I have ordered several items off of his website and emailed him back and forth some. I have nothing bad to say about either man. It doesn't look like you have anything to loose, no matter which way you go.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM