Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

to build or to buy???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: to build or to buy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post
Is the barrel on the Grey Wolf a pencil barrel or does it have some mass to it. I know it is not a bull barrel but is it whippy.
No, it isn't whippy at all. Im not quite sure of what contour it is, but its pretty thick. Its probably as thick as any Remington magnum barrel that's not a fluted barrel. Its not thin like the Savage and Remington and Winchester barrels you see now days. The only problem is the gray wolf rifles are heavy. Not as heavy as a sendero, but heavy none the same.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:21 AM
Silver Member

It's the laminate stock. And I am glad to hear it has a heavier barrel. It should be a good shooter. Hopefully you will get a chance to handload for it.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member

Elkwonder,

You already own the 270 WSM why not wring it out and see how it performs? It could fulfill your desire for the 7 rem mag and save you some money.

Buy that Sako and you will have two big game rifles that will certainly work for most situations.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 AM
Silver Member

AZShooter - And you are reminding me as well to get more out of my existing rifles, thanks.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Ah um well.... YES why not get the use of out what you already have? You have the brass, dies and bullets already. I know is isn't as exciting as something new.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Gold Member

With that 270 WSM the 7 mag is redundant. The new Accubond Long Range 150 gr bullet should be a giant killer in the wizzum, and there is always the 160 gr Partition, not to mention the lighter bullets. Check velocities, again redundant.
Of course if you just want another rifle there is no need for justification!
I am restrained only by my budget... okay and maybe my wife just a little. (grin)
Old 08-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't say it's redundant....I mean, the 7mm has heavier projectiles. Sure it's got a slightly larger bore, so that ain't saying much, but I would never say a 7mm anything is redundant compared to any .270 caliber, if anything the 7 truly has the advantage. With 1 exception...The fact that he already has the .270 WSM and components, and it's bought & paid for so why not use it...

We could sit and argue all day about which is truly better, but in the end, whatever you feel is best, or you are more comfortable with, will win, no matter how big or small the bore or cartridge is.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.