Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

to build or to buy???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: to build or to buy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
If you have a .22-250 (small), and you want to go with a med & large calibers next, I'd build a .257 Wby (medium), and a 7mm STW (large). That should cover all your bases and needs.

I was kinda looking for something that was a little easier on the barrels and my shoulder than the 257Wby.
I also thought about the 243, but I believe it is a lttle too small and close to the
22-250. I don't think the 243 would do near as good of a job as the 6.5x55 on mule deer out to around five hundred or so. Thanks again
Old 08-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

.257 Wby kicks less than a 7mm RemMag....And kicks like a .243 if you put a radial muzzle brake on it, like a Vias or a Weatherby AccuBrake. Plus, you're sending 110 NAB's @ 3,400, and 115 VLD's @ 3,300 fps.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Bronze Member

+1 for the 6.5-.284. Mine has a 25.5" Brux 1 in 8 and kicks about like my .243. I also run the 140vld's In Lapua brass with 50 gr of RL 17 at just over 3000fps. Just a real fun gun to shoot. This is my only experience with the 6.5s but as good as it is why go any where else. JMO
Old 08-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Hard to beat a 7stw. One of my all around favorites and its my go to gun nowadays even over my edge and 300rum
Old 08-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by screech View Post
Hard to beat a 7stw. One of my all around favorites and its my go to gun nowadays even over my edge and 300rum
Whoa now! Better not say that too loud....I can already hear the footsteps of the big-bore brigade coming to chastise you.

Glad to see another STW fan. Come see us over in the 7mm STW section sometime and chat with us. What make/model is your STW? I've got an old Rem 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW that I've had for 11 years now (since new). I love that rifle more than any of the others I have.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f126/

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Gold Member

I've looked at the 7 STW since it first came out, but my plain jane 7 Rem mags have done it all just fine. Shot a 'chuck today at 1332 yards with one. Those 180 gr Bergers can reach!
I've been shooting the 22-250 for almost 20 years now. It's a great little varmint round, but with a standard 14 twist barrel, the bullets that will stabilize will have a definite range limit.
Take a look at a fast twist barrel and heavy bullets in the .243. It's in a different class. I used mine to take a huge mtn goat at 305 yards.
I would also wonder about a 6.5 and 7 mag, when the 7 will do it all.
So, what if you used your funds to build one really good rifle, and put a really good scope on it. Better one half MOA or better rifle and a high quality scope with accurately calibrated and repeatable turrets, than two that are compromised.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrad View Post
I've looked at the 7 STW since it first came out, but my plain jane 7 Rem mags have done it all just fine. Shot a 'chuck today at 1332 yards with one. Those 180 gr Bergers can reach!
I've been shooting the 22-250 for almost 20 years now. It's a great little varmint round, but with a standard 14 twist barrel, the bullets that will stabilize will have a definite range limit.
Take a look at a fast twist barrel and heavy bullets in the .243. It's in a different class. I used mine to take a huge mtn goat at 305 yards.
I would also wonder about a 6.5 and 7 mag, when the 7 will do it all.
So, what if you used your funds to build one really good rifle, and put a really good scope on it. Better one half MOA or better rifle and a high quality scope with accurately calibrated and repeatable turrets, than two that are compromised.

I guess I just didn't realize the 6.5x55 with 140's was so close to the 7rm with 180's.... I better take another closer look at the ballistics.