Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Build ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Silver Member

Build ?

Can I use my SA Savage 243 to build an Edge or RUM?

Obviously I would have to pull the bolt to eject a loaded round and would need a different bolt head, but any other issues?

Stainless LH actions are pricey, would like to use one I already have if possible....
Old 04-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: Build ?

Probably, I hava a 300 WM on a savage target action, you could build a similar single shot short action. Easiest way to get the correct bolt head is buy one from PT&G
Old 04-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't recommend it, b/c it will eventually become a pain in the ass.....But as far as if it is possible.....I guess it would be possible, it's all just a matter of how much time you want to spend loading and unloading ammo and spent brass. Sounds like a big pain to me...

If it were me, I'd start off with a long-action w/ magnum bolt face, and keep the .308 a 308 Win, since that's a fun caliber to shoot.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Silver Member

Are you saying the short action will not eject spent casing?
I am under the impression the only time the bolt needs to be pulled is to remove a live round.

Would be a pita if it will not eject a spent round or loading is a problem, but I have never heard that before
Old 04-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS View Post
Are you saying the short action will not eject spent casing?
I am under the impression the only time the bolt needs to be pulled is to remove a live round.

Would be a pita if it will not eject a spent round or loading is a problem, but I have never heard that before
If you have to eject a spent casing you are planning on putting another one in there again, right? Therefore you'll still have to pull the bolt...

Do what you want, but I wouldn't recommend it. Sounds like a pain in the ass to me...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

Just go with 300WSM
Old 04-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Alright, for all the nay sayers.... listen up! I have shot and know the owner of a SA Target Savage Action that is chambered in .338 Lapua. It WILL eject a spent casing. The only time you have to pull the bolt is for a loaded round. A RUM or or Win Mag based case will not be an issue for single feeding. If you want to make it a repeater, your out of luck. Long action calibers in a SA is not a problem unless you plan to build a repeater!
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!