Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bugs, Bugs and more flying bugs!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Silver Member

Bugs, Bugs and more flying bugs!

I was firing from my bench a few weeks ago and i was intently watching the center of my target as i was starting the squeeze on my trigger. right before the trigger broke, a dragon fly hovered DEAD center on my crosshair. when the rifle went bang, i'm fairly certain the dragonfly met his end. it was after all, only about a foot from the target.

this got me thinking about when i'm shooting at 800, 900, 1000 yards, how many bugs do i hit and what does that do to my bullet and trajectory?
last weekend, i was shooting steel at 869 yards and in the bottom where my target was, there was a swarm of mayflies.

has anybody else thought about this? what are your thoughts?
Old 08-14-2014, 07:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: Bugs, Bugs and more flying bugs!

I never thought about bugs but the other day I was shooting and here come a down pour and I wondered how rain would affect my trajectory. But I was out of ammo....

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...
Old 08-14-2014, 07:53 PM
Silver Member

i was thinking that maybe the pressure wave in front of the bullet would move a small insect. but what about a big insect, or dust particles or hail?
Old 08-15-2014, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

About a year ago I watched a youtube video on guys shooting in rain and potential bullet flight issues. Search for it. I will look when I get a chance. Seems that the outcome had more to do with weight of bullet and amount of rainfall.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Gold Member

Oh, great. We worry about BC, temperature, wind, humidity, altitude, powder charge, type of powder, powder lot series, seating depth, neck tension, type of primer, neck chamber clearance,mirage, comparative weight of bullets and brass, and a dozen other things - now we're gonna plug in rain, insects, and dust particles. My good heavens, where does it end?

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNoWind View Post
Oh, great. We worry about BC, temperature, wind, humidity, altitude, powder charge, type of powder, powder lot series, seating depth, neck tension, type of primer, neck chamber clearance,mirage, comparative weight of bullets and brass, and a dozen other things - now we're gonna plug in rain, insects, and dust particles. My good heavens, where does it end?
Well, you left out snow. I hunt wolves all winter and snow creates issues for me. Mostly I can't see but that is just 1 part of my many issues.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

you left out coriolis effect... and spin drift... not to be a jerk, just sayin

...it NEVER ends!