Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Budget rangefinder for 600 yards?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Bronze Member

Budget rangefinder for 600 yards?

G'Day all,

As the title says i'm looking for a budget range finder that will go to 600 yards or there abouts. After spending everything i have on a decent rifle and great scope i really need a budget range finder to last a year or so.

I don't expect great clarity or low light performance, just as long as it works and gives me a reliable range out to 500-600.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Old 10-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: Budget rangefinder for 600 yards?

I was in the same boat a few years ago. I bought a Bushnell 1200 with the Cabela's name on it for $200.00. It has ranged out to 1275 and has performed for years. I have to hold it steady but it has been so good I haven't upgraded yet. I don't know what the newer ones are going for but it wouldn't be a bad option on a budget.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

If you're on a budget, look at Bushnell and Nikon.

If you want one to last a life time, look at Swarovski and Leica.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

I like my Leupold, but I'm admitidly bias. I live in the Northwest, & most of the gear I own is made here;
Leupold optics- Oregon
Nosler bullets, & brass- Oregon
Pendleton wool- Oregon
Filson wool, & tin cloth Washington
Columbia sportswear Oregon/Washington border
Hawthorne/Whites boots Washington
Leatherman- Oregon
Gerber- Oregon
You get the idea. I like supporting quality local companies when I can so that's my reasoning for being bias.
No, I don't think a Leupy rangefinder is even remotely in the same class as a Leica or Swaro, & if I had the $$ I'd own one of them as we'll, but throw budget/quality in the mix, & I'm back to square one, supporting local companies like Leupold.

I've owned phillipeans made Burris FF-2 scopes, loved them. I've owned a few (Japanese??) Nikons, & liked them too for the $, but I can always send my Leupys in for a new reticle, or turrets or whatever, whenever I want, & their warranty is rock solid, so I don't buy foreign optics anymore unless they're high end, high quality glass.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 10-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Silver Member

Leupold rx 1000i TBR w/DNA
Old 10-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Newcon optik

Their at least made in Canada instead of over sea's, I'm liking the one I got so far but with novelty and all, I'm gonna hold out judgement for a while.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-21-2012, 04:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
I like my Leupold, but I'm admitidly bias. I live in the Northwest, & most of the gear I own is made here;
Leupold optics- Oregon
Nosler bullets, & brass- Oregon
Pendleton wool- Oregon
Filson wool, & tin cloth Washington
Columbia sportswear Oregon/Washington border
Hawthorne/Whites boots Washington
Leatherman- Oregon
Gerber- Oregon
You get the idea. I like supporting quality local companies when I can so that's my reasoning for being bias.
No, I don't think a Leupy rangefinder is even remotely in the same class as a Leica or Swaro, & if I had the $$ I'd own one of them as we'll, but throw budget/quality in the mix, & I'm back to square one, supporting local companies like Leupold.

I've owned phillipeans made Burris FF-2 scopes, loved them. I've owned a few (Japanese??) Nikons, & liked them too for the $, but I can always send my Leupys in for a new reticle, or turrets or whatever, whenever I want, & their warranty is rock solid, so I don't buy foreign optics anymore unless they're high end, high quality glass.
Ditto. For this application the Leupold is the go to range finder.

Either the RX IV or RX 1000 can also be bought well under 450.00 espeically if you check Ebay after the close of rifle season in the US.