Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bubble level??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bubble level??

Joel, We could have figured out the 10* cant bullet offset with a little trig but it's been a long time since trig class so so I just guessed it

I can't argue that the error isn't all that much, especially if you zero at longer ranges. In fact zeroing the windage reticle at 500 or 600 yds while zeroing the elevation at 200 or 300 would probably be a real good idea... glad I thought of it

But when it comes to LR, I figure every little bit helps. It doesn't take me long to set up a level so I figure I'll do it.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

I should have asked my 12 year old, and he probably could have told me how to do the math.

I think it is just as important to zero the elevation at 500 just like the windage. Just use your chart and see what it calls for (6.75 moa in my case). Sight in, and when done, move the turret to 6.75 moa and lock it down. If I end up a click of at my actual zero, no big deal. It will end up being a click closer at 1000, than it would have been if I only shot the gun at 200. Thats where 1 click can actually make a difference.

It is a little short cut if your drop data is not exactly perfect. Do my last few posts make me sound lazy???
Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 PM

After leveling a scope to a rifle, I set up a plumb line at 100 yds. or so and with the rifle clamped in my gun vise, I run the elevation turret up and down the plumb line to fine tune tracking before firing any rounds. Once satisfied that the scope is tracking plumb, I tighten down the bubble level. I like the Hollands level by the way, it is a nice piece of equipment and once you have it set up on a scope it makes remounting much quicker if you need to remove and reinstall the scope later on. From there I zero at 100 yds. and check tracking by dialing elevations and firing at even intervals throughout the turret adjustment range. This will save a bunch of ammo, I know the scope tracks properly before firing.

Mark
Old 03-27-2013, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Joel, We could have figured out the 10* cant bullet offset with a little trig but it's been a long time since trig class so so I just guessed it

I can't argue that the error isn't all that much, especially if you zero at longer ranges. In fact zeroing the windage reticle at 500 or 600 yds while zeroing the elevation at 200 or 300 would probably be a real good idea... glad I thought of it

But when it comes to LR, I figure every little bit helps. It doesn't take me long to set up a level so I figure I'll do it.

How about 10* @ 600yds (I think it was 10*, it's been a while since I read the article)

Bubble level??-aim-cant-effect.jpg

t

Old 03-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
How about 10* @ 600yds (I think it was 10*, it's been a while since I read the article)

Attachment 19968

t

That's quite an offset, especially for only 600 yds. So I guess you aligned your elevation reticle with the black tape? What was your zero distance and how high is the scope mounted?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
That's quite an offset, especially for only 600 yds. So I guess you aligned your elevation reticle with the black tape? What was your zero distance and how high is the scope mounted?

Mark,

I did not conduct that test. It was a write up I read a while ago, I know it was 308 & I believe it was an AI but don't quote me on that. Yes, the reticle was aligned with the black bar as to repeat as best as possible. I don't recall the scope height so I can't really comment on that. When I read the article I thought this pic was a great example & saved it for discussions such as this one.

t

Old 03-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member

That is an interesting pic for sure but it seems mathematically impossible. If the zero were @ 100 yds the 600 yd offset should be about 1" if it were 10*. My curiosity is spiked so I'll have to give it a try myself

Sounds like a good experiment for a 6-284 with a nitrided barrel

~ John Quincy Adams