Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bubble level??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bubble level??

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I use a plumb bob too, so what do you do to level the rifle while you set the scope to the plumb line?

Jeff
Jeff, I set the rifle up on bipod with the butt between a couple of sand bags on top of another sandbag. I remove the bolt, and I eyeball the plumb bob line and adjust the rifle so the line splits the bore, then I adjust the windage reticle to be parallel with the line. Then I eyeball the bore again to make sure the rifle hasn't moved and when bore and reticle are lined up I torque the rings down and then double check everything. Then I mount the level making sure the bore and scope remain plumb.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-23-2013, 01:07 AM
Gold Member

I have use several different ones. I have the USO folding one on a long range varmint rifle and it has worked quite well. All of the one I have used worked.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

I prefer a scope mounted level over the rail mounts. The main reason for this is that once the level is set true to the travel of the scope (or reticle), then it is set for life. I can take the scope off and re-install and never have to re-level the scope. Also, with the level on the scope, it allows me to adjust the scope in the rings so the rifle "fits" me better. Depending on the stock and ring height I have seen several times where a very slight cant in the rifle will make the cheek weld easier to reproduce and feel better (you cant do this with a fixed rail mount). I think too many guys worry about having the rifle perfectly level, when all that really matters is the the scope travels (or reticle) true to the earth.

Broz, I actually shoot my level in just like you with the plumb line. For us guys that dial, you can never trust that the reticle is 100% in line with the actual travel.

Joel
Old 03-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroshtr View Post
I prefer a scope mounted level over the rail mounts. The main reason for this is that once the level is set true to the travel of the scope (or reticle), then it is set for life. I can take the scope off and re-install and never have to re-level the scope. Also, with the level on the scope, it allows me to adjust the scope in the rings so the rifle "fits" me better. Depending on the stock and ring height I have seen several times where a very slight cant in the rifle will make the cheek weld easier to reproduce and feel better (you cant do this with a fixed rail mount). I think too many guys worry about having the rifle perfectly level, when all that really matters is the the scope travels (or reticle) true to the earth.

Broz, I actually shoot my level in just like you with the plumb line. For us guys that dial, you can never trust that the reticle is 100% in line with the actual travel.

Joel
Great points Joel, I agree.

Jeff
Old 03-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroshtr View Post

Joel
Joel, I agree you may not be able to get it 100% but I think you can get it very close. Also, the level is for keeping reticle travel true to gravity AND eliminating cant.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Gold Member

The eliminating cant part becomes more and more significant as ranges become longer.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:27 PM
Silver Member

Elimination cant in the RIFLE isn't what is really important. Eliminating cant in the SCOPE is. One of these days I will film a demonstration showing this, as most people do not think it is possible to shoot at long range if the gun is not perfectly level. We do this all the time with archery equipment, and I have set up several rifles where the gun was not level (for shooter comfort), but the scope is, and they shoot true out to 1000 yards.

Joel