Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bubble level??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Bubble level??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Set up is fairly easy, I do it when I mount the scope which I use a plumb bob and line for.
I use a plumb bob too, so what do you do to level the rifle while you set the scope to the plumb line?

Jeff
Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Gold Member

I like the offset scope level from 21st century shooting. Excellent features and quality for the $$. The cutout window for seeing your SF knob settings is what I really like.

http://www.pmatool.com/product_info....19429070e4df47
Old 03-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I use a plumb bob too, so what do you do to level the rifle while you set the scope to the plumb line?

Jeff

I've been playing with the Level/Level/Level from Wheeler (piece of crap BTW). I qualify the magnetized level that fits in your action rails with an expensive digital level that I keep, on a flat plane to make sure it is square before each use. I keep that level in the action rails & level (of course) while truing my reticle. I then true the Bubble level to the action rail level when the scope rings are tightened to avoid any stacked tolerances.

BTW- Broz- PM me your addy & i'll send you that B-Square, it's just collecting dust here.

t

Old 03-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I've been playing with the Level/Level/Level from Wheeler (piece of crap BTW). I qualify the magnetized level that fits in your action rails with an expensive digital level that I keep, on a flat plane to make sure it is square before each use. I keep that level in the action rails & level (of course) while truing my reticle. I then true the Bubble level to the action rail level when the scope rings are tightened to avoid any stacked tolerances.

BTW- Broz- PM me your addy & i'll send you that B-Square, it's just collecting dust here.
That is a kind offer. But first consider this. Before you mount the scope install the Bsquare on your rail and check it to be true with your good level for a double check. Then use it while squaring your scope with the plum bob. Last step mount the tube mounted level and make it match the rail mounted Bsquare. Then remove the Bsquare level and keep it around in case you ever need to check reticle trueness periodically.

This is pretty much what I do if I am installing a tube mounted level. If I am mounting a rail level I am just done sooner.

The final step is to shoot the bottom of the plum line once, dial up 30 moa and shoot again using the same point of aim. If I did a good job the second shot will be on the plum line 31.4" above the first shot.

Jeff
Old 03-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The final step is to shoot the bottom of the plum line once, dial up 30 moa and shoot again using the same point of aim. If I did a good job the second shot will be on the plum line 31.4" above the first shot.

Jeff

Not a bad idea at all. Let me ask you this: If I shoot my plum line, won't the weight fall off?! LOLOL!

Sorry brother, that was the first thing to come to mind.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
: If I shoot my plum line, won't the weight fall off?! LOLOL.
Yea, but only once.

Ok, here is a pic. The X 'd out holes were a little sight in zeroing going on.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yea, but only once.

Ok, here is a pic. The X 'd out holes were a little sight in zeroing going on.

I was actually thinking about picking up some of these: (they have both mil/mil & moa/moa)

Bubble level??-sniper-hide_target_accuracy_mil-rad_v1-final-1-.jpg

Then you can qualify your turrets too.

t