Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Browning Xbolt accuracy long range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Browning Xbolt accuracy long range

I have had 2 identical rifles (1 from '04-08, and one from '12-current), b/c the first one got stolen from me back in 08. They are/were Browning A-Bolt II Composite Stalker w/ BOSS in 7mm RemMag. The old one had an original Bausch & Lomb Elite 3000 Firefly 3-9x50, and the current one has a Kahles Helia KX 3.5-10x50.

I just got this new one a few months ago, so haven't had a chance to do anything much other than a Rifle Basix 1.25# trigger spring & trigger job, and a 100 yard zero to tune in the BOSS for my handloads.

My other one I have taken several deer well over 300 yards. My furthest free-hand standing shot in a treestand was 476 yards, with that gun shooting (before I reloaded) Federal Premium 160gr Barnes TSX Triple-Shocks w/ the XLC coating. It had no problem laying the smack down on a whitetail at that distance. You gotta love a flat-shooting caliber.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:48 AM

Thanks for the great info. I think I'm going to go for it. Trying to decide between the 300wsm at 6 pounds 8oz, with a 23" barrel, or the 300 win mag at 6 pounds 13oz with a 26"barrel. I do reload. The gun will be for hunting in the mountains for deer an occasional elk and hopefully a sheep or goat one day.
Thanks Tony
Old 02-27-2013, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Never been a fan of the WSM's.... They came out right about the time the outdoors store I was working for was fixing to close up its doors for good...I've always prefered full-size cartridges myself. I have heard good things about the WSM's, I just can't bring myself to buy one.

Don't overlook the 7mm RemMag....That is a very potent caliber. I know alot of folks who are persistant on having a .30 caliber bullet....But remember, there is only 0.024" difference between the .30 caliber and the 7mm (.284) caliber bullets. Granted, you can get heavier bullets for the .30 caliber, but a 160gr Accubond from a good 7mm RemMag handload will be just as nasty as a 175gr pill from a .300 WinMag.

One of my buddies has a .300 WinMag, and I make his handloads for him...We go to the range and my 7mm 160gr Accubonds sound like they hit harder on the backstop @ 100 yards than his .300 WinMag with 178gr A-Max's. Our velocities ought to be very similar +/- 100fps between the 2 calibers....But my 7mm RemMag uses less powder to do it.

I'm not trying to convince you to go with a different caliber, I'm just saying don't rule out 7mm calibers just b/c they are a little bit smaller than a .30 caliber.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

Please PM me before you buy a new X-bolt of any kind. I am short on time so I can not post what I need to say this very second. But I have an X-bolt .300wsm and there are some things you need to know before the purchase. If you are interested PM me tonight sometime! later
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 10-20-2014, 12:31 PM

I bought an Xbolt comp stalker in 270 WSM....

picked it up and it fit me... i wish the fore-end was about 1/2" wider cause i was born with meathooks... but the gun is awsome to handle in the field.

I too had issues with mine when i first started shooting it, 2 tight holes and a 3rd flier. among other bizarre issues.

So I took it apart and had a gander @ the factory bedding job.... or lack there of

needless to say, i bought these 2 kits off of MatchGrade Bedding Products - Terminal Ballistics Research

Now a gun that i loved from the get go is even better.

also have a Rem 700 Sendaro sitting right beside it...

of the 2 factory triggers, the browning wins. if his trigger is hard to pull... it needs adjusting

which might add, the xbolt trigger adjusts an does not get creepy... how remington even released the Xmark pro on a rifle with out embarassment is beyond me
Old 10-20-2014, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

Hate to hijack but how much did that xbolt run you? I have a composite stalker in 300wks and its in EXCELLENT shape with only 17 rounds through it, but I'm selling it to work on a long range build. I just need to know where to start my selling price. I was thinking 450$ or so with bases included
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 10-20-2014, 07:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
Hate to hijack but how much did that xbolt run you? I have a composite stalker in 300wks and its in EXCELLENT shape with only 17 rounds through it, but I'm selling it to work on a long range build. I just need to know where to start my selling price. I was thinking 450$ or so with bases included
I would buy that in a heartbeat if I didn't already own one. Mine is a solid 1/2 minute gun and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. If you like to tinker though, a remington or a savage have more aftermarket parts.