Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Browning Xbolt accuracy long range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 11:14 PM

Browning Xbolt accuracy long range

I know most of you have custom rifles, but im hoping a few guys have tried shooting long range with their xbolts. I would like to know what kind of accuracy you achieved. I'm looking for a light mountain rifle and don't know if spending 3k on a custom rifle is really worth it? 300 win mag will probably be my calliber. Thanks Tony
Old 02-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Silver Member

Re: Browning Xbolt accuracy long range

after loading for a freinds xbolt in 270 wsm i am not impresed with browning his wives cheap savage .270 wsm would out shoot it on a regular basis. After a few shots it would change poi and trigger left alot to be desired.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Gold Member

The trigger on my X Bolt is better than any other factory trigger I've ever felt. I have a composite stalker in 300 WSM and it's a consistent 1/2 MOA rifle with 3 shot groups and 3/4 MOA with 7 shot groups.

The barrels on the X Bolts are free floating. Change in POI is usually due to shooter error because the gun is so dang light any difference in technique from one shot to the next will definitely open up your groups or change POI.

Using my rifle with a Burris Black Diamond scope I've made first round hits on 15" rocks at 700 yards from a sitting position using the reticle marks for holdover. It's awful hard to beat that kind of accuracy and handling from another factory rifle.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Silver Member

it would change poi from a rest like the lead sled and hitting a 15" rock at 700 yards it would do but at over a 2 moa target i would expect most decent guns should. Maybe he got a bad triger but compared to the savage which i am not a big fan off it was heavy and next to my timney was like pulling a sledge hammer. Never been a big browning fan so i might be a little biased as the name seems to add to the price more than any thing. Dont need to spend 3000 on a custom get a rem 700 and start from there it is like building off the 350 small block with all the options there are
Old 02-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
it would change poi from a rest like the lead sled and hitting a 15" rock at 700 yards it would do but at over a 2 moa target i would expect most decent guns should. Maybe he got a bad triger but compared to the savage which i am not a big fan off it was heavy and next to my timney was like pulling a sledge hammer. Never been a big browning fan so i might be a little biased as the name seems to add to the price more than any thing. Dont need to spend 3000 on a custom get a rem 700 and start from there it is like building off the 350 small block with all the options there are
I personally would never judge a gun for changing POI off a lead sled vs a more conventional shooting position/platform. I've handled a few X Bolts and all had excellent triggers, your friend might need to adjust his down a bit.

A 2 MOA target would be easily doable with most rifles from a prone position or off a bench, but to hit a target that size from an unsupported sitting position requires a rifle that handles extremely well.

The only time I shot my X Bolt at long range from prone, I put 3 shots in 6 inches at 960 yards. When you consider the gun with the scope weighs less than 8 lbs it's an impressive shooter.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Silver Member

it changed poi from the pencil bbl getting hot after 5 shots it was more of a patern than a group but probally asking it do some thing it was not desinged to do is fire a sustained string.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

I havea xbolt hunter in 270wsm. It shoots great. .5moa all day. I think the trjgger is fine on mine too. I own one of almost every brand out there and am not biased by any means either way, but I do like the xbolt.