Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Browning X-bolt Varmint Special .300WSM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

Browning X-bolt Varmint Special .300WSM

Hey guys, this is my first post so go easy on me! I have a few questions regarding my setup. Please be direct and to the point, I am not thin skinned.

1. I purchased a Varmint Special .300 WSM. I bought it because its a Browning, and because the stock is really neat. Furthermore, I went with the .300WSM because I plan on hitting the 1K mark, steel plate with hopes of that once in a lifetime elk hunt. I have time and money (to an extent) in regards to learning to shoot that far, I've taken successful shots up to 350 yards with my 7MM RM, but this will be my new baby.

X-Bolt Varmint Special Stainless, , Browning Firearms Product

Without stringing this portion out, my question is, why am i not hearing more about this gun, and can I achieve my goals with this rifle?

2. I have the Vortex Viper PST 6.5x24 glass. Will this be enough scope for the task?

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 Rifle Scope FFP - FREE UPS - PST624F1M, PST624F1A

3. I would like to use commercial ammo, but I can have some made (reloading buddy) so, which ammo (brand,gr) would you recommend. Now, I realize I'll need to shoot different ammo in my rifle to see which works best, but that why im taking opinions with hopes that I'll pick the best choices and wont have to settle for anything less.

Thank you guys for your time, and I appreciate any and all constructive criticism.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Browning X-bolt Varmint Special .300WSM

Elevation is around 800 FT above sea level. Temps range from 15-70 degrees F.

Prone position from a bi pod/sandbag.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:14 AM
Gold Member

Welcome to the site. Good looking rifle. ( I went to the website and looked ) 300 wsm is a good choice and I think it will work well for you. If you can get some custom loaded Berger VLD, Barnes TTSX, or Nosler AB ammo you will be good to go on elk. They are much tougher than deer.

Seems that Brownings aren't as popular because it's too hard to find accessories for them. That's not the case with me. I'm hunting with a Browning more often than not. The 7 SAUM A-Bolt that I built is one of my favorites. Havn't killed anything with it yet but I'm working on it.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bycamper View Post
Welcome to the site. Good looking rifle. ( I went to the website and looked ) 300 wsm is a good choice and I think it will work well for you. If you can get some custom loaded Berger VLD, Barnes TTSX, or Nosler AB ammo you will be good to go on elk. They are much tougher than deer.

Seems that Brownings aren't as popular because it's too hard to find accessories for them. That's not the case with me. I'm hunting with a Browning more often than not. The 7 SAUM A-Bolt that I built is one of my favorites. Havn't killed anything with it yet but I'm working on it.
Thanks brother, I really enjoy the style of this gun. I'm hoping it will perform well for me. So, do you believe my optics/rifle combo can work for 1,000 yard shot? Also, would you recommend any commercial loads for elk, at say 600 yards +-?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehulk View Post
Thanks brother, I really enjoy the style of this gun. I'm hoping it will perform well for me. So, do you believe my optics/rifle combo can work for 1,000 yard shot? Also, would you recommend any commercial loads for elk, at say 600 yards +-?
You bet ! Elk and to a lesser extent deer are BIG targets. I would only use 6x at 500 yards on elk. Shooting up to 1000 yds you might want more power to try to discover any wind effect. Any wind at all can really move your shot around at 1000 yds.

Get a bale of hay and some brown wrapping paper for a 1000 yd target. Maybe start it at 300 yds and keep moving it back. That will tell you a lot about your scope. And burn some powder.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bycamper View Post
You bet ! Elk and to a lesser extent deer are BIG targets. I would only use 6x at 500 yards on elk. Shooting up to 1000 yds you might want more power to try to discover any wind effect. Any wind at all can really move your shot around at 1000 yds.

Get a bale of hay and some brown wrapping paper for a 1000 yd target. Maybe start it at 300 yds and keep moving it back. That will tell you a lot about your scope. And burn some powder.

What do you mean, when you say 6x? You talking magnification? I'm still learning the lingo!
Old 01-18-2012, 01:05 AM
Gold Member

I contacted Browning to try and buy the stock that your gun came with to have a better stock for bench shooting with my X Bolt 300 WSM and the company that builds the stocks said they haven't got them into production yet....I asked them how people could own the gun if the stocks weren't in production and they didn't have an answer. hahaha

I love my X Bolt. With the 185 grain Berger I was able to hit a 24 inch steel plate 8 out of 10 times (missed the first two shots adjusting for wind and putting a little less elevation in my hold) at 1000 yards. That's not a real impressive group at a grand, but it was extremely gratifying for me with a light weight rifle and my first try at that distance.

How do you like the feel of the stock?