Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Broke the 500 yard barrier finally

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2003, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: Broke the 500 yard barrier finally

Skinny, Don't have a mil-dot master, but was thinking of getting one, don't have to many places around here to shoot past 300yds. I'm pretty new to LR stuff and alot of these new terms, so could you explain to me what is meant by "dialing up in MOA" All I know is a MOA is 1" @100yds etc. etc. Larry at Burris has a 6mm also, and he tells me he zeros his 4.5-14 Fullfield w/Bal. mil-dot at 400yds and he's good out to 1000yds. I was going to tell you, the 175s will work better at 1000yds going from what I saw on last weeks thread for a question about the 308, if thats your ultimate goal. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Jay
Old 04-30-2003, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Allen,

you're hooked now ain't ya!

Seeing as you're using the JBM program, you might like the Exbal program better with the Mil-Dots you are using, it's pretty damn cool, and for only 25 bucks too!

I like the 155's best in the 308win for targets and the smaller stuff. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2003, 02:45 AM
Platinum Member

Brent i think Gerald's gotten a little rich on us as i believe the program is now $40, but of course still the best out there by a good margin.

Jay, Exbal is tailor-made for the Burris scopes as he has the Ballistic Plex reticle on the program for instantant calculations, and Ballistic Mil-Dot in user-specified mode. If you use this program, you'll wonder why everyone else is so far behind. www.perry-systems.com
Old 05-01-2003, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member

I got the combo for the Palm too, it was 50 bucks then, seems he upped it to 60, still worth more than anything else out there by far and a bargin that isn't seen all too often at that. Compare what it would cost me for an updated version of the Horus program, Dick quoted me a 100 bucks for the ATrag2P, Perry wants $7.50!! What do you get with the Horus, one that "may" finally work correctly and a dropchart, piss poor customer service from people that don't even understand what different drag curves are! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] These freakin guys think they have the best thing out there by their price, theirs really sucks if you've used Exbal once. The one thing I did get from Horus that works well though, a Palm that I could load Exbal into! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

There's a couple navigational links I'd add to Exbal I'll point out to Gerald maybe he can make a patch for, but nothin major. It and the desktop version are just really nice programs.

Every member here could have a nice bullet database and ballistics program all in one, and not for an arm and a leg either, if investing in the simple desktop program, the Palm is just bitchin in the field too if you ever get one.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:18 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Skinny,

Tell you what if you buy a 50 cal. I'll personally take you to a bunch of PD towns. I'm a sucker for whatchin' a guy all smiles when he connects with a target at 1K or more !!!

Take the 308 to Williamsport. at 1K the 308 tends to slow way down.. but at Perry they shot it and shot it well... I too have fallen into the BIG Magnem .. flat shooting trap.. but all in all, inside of 750.. my 308 is the "goto" gun... thing just hits where ya point it...

I think I may have to try this exbal program... hmmm.. I have the Palm from Horus... so I may just do that...
Old 05-01-2003, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

You know Brent, i got a Palm computer for Xmas, but i haven't even messed with it. After thinking about it i figured it would be too cumbersome to play with while a coyote was out there waiting for my bullet to show up-- i'm trying to snipe these dogs at LR, do you think the palm version has merit in that scenario?

Wyo, you ever hunt antelope around Rock River? i've been taking kids there for several years to hunt does on the True ranch-- mighty big place.

[ 05-01-2003: Message edited by: sscoyote ]
Old 05-01-2003, 08:30 AM
*WyoWhisper*

SS,

I have the Horus program.. soon to get the exbal.. I have used the horus on yotes at LR and what I usually do is pin point various objects that I am pretty sure the yotes will pass or hang near and pre calculate the clicks... not real cumbersome that way..

Never hunted near Rock River...

if luck has it ( tag draw ) Boyd and Butch are coming this year to hunt some speed goats and muleys at LR near Casper.... should be an interesting, super fun time.... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]