Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Broke the 500 yard barrier finally

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2003, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

Broke the 500 yard barrier finally

I know for some of you folks that's short range but I have to start somewhere. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Back on the 19th I set-up in a fencerow overlooking a small valley with groundhogs on the other side. Distances were 450'ish out to 6oo yards.
Used a stock VLS 308 with Speer 168gr Match bullets over IMR 4350. Optic is the Leupold 4.5-14x50LR w/MilDots.
Shot 4 and missed more.
1st chuck was a 101 yard gimme just after stepping out of my Blazer.
2nd chuck was at 522 yards and took 2 shots. It was hard to see thru the 14x scope and wasn't sure if it was a confirmed. The chuck blended with the dirt. Initially recorded as a miss.
The 3rd chuck was capped at 486 yards. Also hard to tell if it was a kill. It blended in again.
Hogs number 2 and 3 were full-sized.
The 4th was shot at 389 yards, 2 shots. First shot killed it and my spotter, Bust-a-hog said hit him again so I did.

Went out near evening on 4/25 and set-up on some holes out at what I thought was 550'ish. Saw two there. One was close than the other. Lased the holes and got 567. Hmmm, didn't think it was that far. Listened to the laser anyways. The closer chuck went in for the night and saw the farther chuck was in a good position for a shot. Dialed up in MOA for 575 yards. Figured since it was a bit farther I would connect.
Used my harris bipod and also my binos and left hand for a rear rest.
Squeezed her off. The conditions must have been just right cause you could hear that bullet hiss downrange.
(Bustahog had been about 100 yards or so off to my left and heard a long crack down to the target when I shot. )
The chuck jumps in the air, spins around, flops for a moment and runs for it's hole.
Saw the bullet strike dirt just under it. My windage was dead-on. After inspecting the area, found my impact point but no blood. Figured I would laser back to where I shot. It was 602 yards. No wonder I hit a tad low. Must have stung it with some stones from the way it reacted.

I'm using the JBM Ballistics calculator and am having the program calculate my drop in MOA. So far it's been easy to use. Also have a MilDot Master which is quite the tool.
Am getting some loads started for the 22-250 which has the 6.5-20LR w/MilDots.
Looking forward to the weekend.

[ 04-30-2003: Message edited by: Skinny Shooter ]
Old 04-30-2003, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Broke the 500 yard barrier finally

Congrats and keep pluging away.....You'll get to the 1000 yard mark sooner than you think..... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2003, 05:18 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Boyds right... 1K isn't that far off.. especially on a chuck. Looks like ya figured out the hard part (windage). Great Job...!! only trouble is now you'll have restless nights and visions of 1K and further [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ 04-30-2003: Message edited by: *WyoWhisper* ]
Old 04-30-2003, 07:14 PM
Silver Member

Hehe, is it a curse if you fall asleep at night doing MilDot conversions [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2003, 07:31 PM
Silver Member

NOW you are in trouble. Congratulations.
[Reaching for wallet] You wouldn't happen to be a betting man would you?
Impossible means not done YET!
Old 04-30-2003, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Skinny, How do you zero your rifle with the Leupold mil-dots, and how many dots are available on your scopes? With the Burris thats on my 6mm I got it zeroed at 100yds and the hash marks below center allow me to shoot out to 700 without touching my dials. Maybe the same for Leupold, huh. Jay [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2003, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

Wyo, a year ago I got to fondle an AR50 at the Harrisburg gunshow. It's been difficult living without one ever since. Those sleek lines, that sexy stock, those... aww never mind. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Even though I'm not sure where I'd shoot it, I still want one. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Ray, just so it's known officially...
It's all Boyd's fault!
Plus Darryl and Baldeagle helped too... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
At last October's shoot in Williamsport, never thought a 300RUM (Boyd's rifle)could shoot that nice. I expected to get knocked around a bit after hearing how "bad" that caliber is. Thank goodness for muzzle breaks. Just missing a claybird on one of my first shots hooked me good. hehe

Jay, I was thinking along the lines of what you are doing.
Currently I'm zero'ing at 100 yards and dialing up in MOA.
In the Leupold, there are 8 oval dots on the vertical and 8 on the horizontal for 10 Mils each way.
Once I start shooting the 168 or 175gr Mkings and know how much MOA can be obtained out of the scope, I was considering a 4 or 500 yard zero. Then figure out my MOA drops and come-ups and convert them to mils on the MilDot Master. It'll be interesting and if it works, very quick to get on target with minimal turret spinning. I'll have to look at my drop chart to see how it corresponds with the way you do it.
Do you have the Master?

I sort of have this desire to shoot my 308 up in Williamsport but alot of guys are working with flatter shooting calibers. For a starter gun it would still work right? I'm not expecting to be breaking records any time soon. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Allen

[ 04-30-2003: Message edited by: Skinny Shooter ]