Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Breaking in a New Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Bronze Member

Breaking in a New Barrel

I recently purchased a Remington 700 rifle in 308 caliber. Ive never had a new rifle where breaking in a barrel was a concern. The question i got is, after how many rounds would it take from a new rifle before you can say your zero will not be affected from other than environmental factors?

Im still new at this, but any help would be great.

Thanks
Shayne
Old 09-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Gold Member

Re: Breaking in a New Barrel

here is good link someone asked same question 5 years ago, but nothing changed since
breaking a barrel

Last edited by Jinx-); 09-03-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:32 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks
Old 09-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member

That's funny, I just checked that link and there was a guy by the name of Hooter Shooter. That's funny!
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 09-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZairborne View Post
I recently purchased a Remington 700 rifle in 308 caliber. Ive never had a new rifle where breaking in a barrel was a concern. The question i got is, after how many rounds would it take from a new rifle before you can say your zero will not be affected from other than environmental factors?

Thanks
Shayne
Hi Shayne,

Welcome to LRH. Breaking in a barrel is essentially a process of smoothing out the roughness in your bore. It's basically lapping your bore by firing through it. The idea is to eliminate the roughness and irregularities and eliminate copper fouling. To do this correctly you must clean the copper from your bore after each shot until your copper fouling stops or almost stops. You need a good copper remover. I use Bore Tech Eliminator. If you use Bore Tech, you need to use a nickle plated or plastic jag with it because Bore Tech will eat away a brass jag and give a false blue copper reading. I use Bore Tech at the range between shots and I use Wipeout at home when I can soak it.

Breaking in your barrel may or may not affect your accuracy. It will almost certianly improve your rifle's consistancy and it will make cleaning your rifle a whole lot easier and reduce the frequency of cleanings.

Hope this helps,

-MR
Old 09-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the great info. Im heading to the range this weekend and will try that out.

Shayne
Old 09-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZairborne View Post

Thanks
Shayne
The amount of rounds will vary from rifle to rifle .

The method I like is to Shoot one round and clean then repeat until the barrel cleans after
only two or three patches.

On custom barrels this takes from 6 to 15 rounds, factory barrels will take more. (15 to 25)

If broken in properly a barrel will not foul as bad and will clean up fast.

Some people don't believe in break in but I feel it prolongs barrel life.

Just an opinion
J E CUSTOM