Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The Breakfast of Shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Gold Member

The Breakfast of Shooters

I have a farmer/rancher friend who has been known to have a few deer on his place. So I decided I would go out this morning for Breakfast. As I was driving down the two track ranch road to get to my hunting spot, I spied a suspicious looking brown mass at the end of the field on my right. I grabbed my binos and looked, there on the menu was a nice looking mulie buck! He meandered down and out of sight to my left. I sat there a while watching to see if he would come out again. I saw him cross the two track directly in front of me about 300 yds away. I crept forward just a little keeping a sharp eye out to try and catch which way he was going to go. Suddenly, not to my surprise really, a doe crossed the two track across the gully ahead of me. Then another, doe, then another and by the time the fourth doe crossed I was out of the truck and on my sticks anticipating what I was SURE was to follow.
Yep, sure enough there he came. He was moving a bit quicker than I like trying to keep up with his women , so I waited just a little , then at 245 yds he paused. It was just long enough for a 160 gr. Accubond traveling at 3100 fps to end his courting days! Here he is:

Another view with my APS/Browning 7mm Rem Mag:

When I went over to him, off to the left was a herd of about 100 more mulies. I quickly glanced at them through my binos but decided not to look too hard just so I couldn't get "shooter's remorse" if there was a bigger one there.

After I had dressed and loaded my main course, I proceeded to whack a dozen prairie dogs for desert!! That's the kind of breakfast I like, The "Breakfast of Shooters!"

Hope you all enjoyed as much as I did!

Jim

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 11-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: The Breakfast of Shooters

Sweet mulie! Congrats.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice. He'll look good on the plate!

I like the gun 'rack'.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:31 PM

What a day,congrats.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice buck!!!
Enjoyed your story.
You have good tricks to arrange a buck for photos, I just learned something today.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Gold Member

Breakfast of champions, congrats!
Old 11-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Silver Member

Nice buck ,great story and the smile on the deer is classic..