Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Break free cleaner...what's going on?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

Break free cleaner...what's going on?

My brother in law gave me this cleaner. It cleans fine and all, but my rifle shoots high and to the right for 4-5 shots. I know a clean barrel can shoot off before fouling, but with all other cleaners it only shoots off group for 1-2 shots then settles in. Does this happen to anyone else?
Old 09-21-2010, 05:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Break free cleaner...what's going on?

Assuming you're speaking of Break Free CLP??

If so, it has alot more oil/lubricant in it than normal cleaning solvents do. Probably the reason for your fouling shots to fly so far out. Even if you dry patch till it appears to be gone, there's still gonna be a fine film of oil left over unless you clean the Break Free out w/ solvent first.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Silver Member

Yes that is very common with most solvents/cleaners/oils. I have using hBN aerosol after cleaning and I have no change of impact at all. Must be applied to bare metal surface with no other lube. After cleaning I swab the bore with brake cleaner to remove any residual solvent and then run 2 patches of hBN then one dry patch. See link below for ordering info if interested.

Lower Friction
Old 09-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
My brother in law gave me this cleaner. It cleans fine and all, but my rifle shoots high and to the right for 4-5 shots. I know a clean barrel can shoot off before fouling, but with all other cleaners it only shoots off group for 1-2 shots then settles in. Does this happen to anyone else?
This is very common as others have mentioned. I don't know what you were using before, but it could be that it did a better job of cleaning and thus the larger variation before fouling. Bore tech eliminator is by far the best I've found and won't harm your barrel. Try some after cleaning with something else and see the difference.....Rich