Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

break on a 338 rum sendero?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2003, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: break on a 338 rum sendero?

Yep, I agree with Chris. The Leupold 8 1/2X to 25X LR is hard to beat for the LR hunter/shooter. I should buy Leupold stock.

The cost is not out of line for the quality of optics in the Leupold and the Warrenty is fantasic if needed.

Chris
I knew you were kidding about the recoil and was about to say----"You Dah Man" Chris if you can take the thumping the 338 with the 250 or 300 gr gives you.
My next comment was going to be, how often do you hit the target trying to hold on to that light rifle from the bench? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I always said that when hunting and shooting at game, you could stand behind a howitzer and pull the trigger and not feel the recoil. Well maybe [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Later
Old 03-22-2003, 11:23 PM
Bronze Member

The muzzle brake will definatly reduce recoil.

I have the 300RUM with a 6.5x20x50 LR and my rig weighs a little less then 11 pounds. I shot 180s and ended up with a black eye. There is no way you will be able to shoot this accuratly without a brake.

However, if you plan on hunting with this guy, as I do, you must wear ear plugs. I have a KDF brake and I shot it once from the bench to see how the volume was. My friend walked up to me and all I could see was his lips moving-no sound.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

I'll disagree. My 300 RUM weighs only a touch over 8 lbs and 95% of my shooting with it has been 240's chronographing in the 2970 range.

Yes, it thumps you--especially from the bench. But with a good recoil pad on the stock (Pachmayr Decelerator), a good shoulder pad (Past Super Magnum Plus), and a scope with enough eye relief it can be set forward enough that it won't whack your eye (Leupold) it can be managed quite well if one puts his mind to it. I can shoot a dozen or so groups (three shot) in a sitting before I decide to call it quits. If it weighed 10 lbs, heck, it would be a pussy cat. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I should point out, however, that I do most of my shooting from feild positions which is much easier on the shoulder and the added weight of the bi-pod helps even more.

It's not for everybody, but if you don't like brakes and especially if you have experience shooting "buffalo-stopper"-type big bores, the RUM's can be shot well with some practice even with out a brake.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

You can expect recoil to be reduced somewhere around what a 7-8lb 243win or 308win would be if using a brake on that thing.

People CAN shoot them accurately without one, I know it wouldn't be a problem for me but some may have shy shoulders. How you hold and shoot the heavy kickers is what matters and can be learned and dealt with quite easily. You have to have a CAN DO mind to do so though, if your convinced you can't you won't get far toward mastering it. A challenge some like to avoid and some like to take head on. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2003, 06:42 PM
Bronze Member

Hey Chris, don't want to sound like an advertisement, on last years hunt I used a game ear while hunting. Worked out great while shooting my Vias braked .338 ultra.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:10 AM

I bought a Browning A-Bolt Stalker last year in .338 Win. Mag. My big concern was the kick, since that's a big topic of conversation. I had a gunsmith install a Pachmyer Decellerator pad, and decided to wait on the muzzle brake for the reasons already stated: I like what's left of my hearing.

I found that I can shoot the gun very well without the brake, so I never installed it. It is nothing for me to shoot 30 rounds at the range, and I'm using 250 gr. Sierra Game Kings for now.

That said, a friend wanted to shoot it, shot it once and says he'll never shoot it again.

I'm not sure if it's just me, if he held it wrong or what, but it seems to be a function of the person and the rifle. I won't say it doesn't kick, but it certainly doesn't hurt me, and it doesn't make me flinch. I only stop at 30 rounds because of cost or time.

My recommendation would be to install a Decellerator and see. Then add a brake if it's necessary.

kk
Old 10-31-2003, 08:13 AM

smoak: There is no way you will be able to shoot this accuratly without a brake.

Um, I do. I get .4-.6" groups all day without a brake stock all the way except for some trigger tuning.