Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Brass life expectancy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 11:32 AM

Re: Brass life expectancy.

Thanks, Bounty Hunter.

Russ
Old 01-31-2009, 04:00 AM
Silver Member

I have the exact same barrel in 300 rum. Congrats! Its gonna shoot good!! I have 287 rounds down mine so far with both Nosler and Remington brass. I use redding dies and load 210 bergers on top of 91.5 grs. of H1000 which=3115 fps. 3 loads is the most I can ever get out of my brass. and on the 3rd loading it is always snug when I shut the bolt. I have never had primer pocket issues or cracked necks. Just doesnt fit anymore even trimmed to correct length. Thankfully remington sells brass in 100 rnd bags but the nosler stuff is nicer I think.

Hope this helps

I am the way I am because I watched the movies "Red Dawn" and "Tremors" at a impressionable age.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPRITT View Post
I have the exact same barrel in 300 rum. Congrats! Its gonna shoot good!! I have 287 rounds down mine so far with both Nosler and Remington brass. I use redding dies and load 210 bergers on top of 91.5 grs. of H1000 which=3115 fps. 3 loads is the most I can ever get out of my brass. and on the 3rd loading it is always snug when I shut the bolt. I have never had primer pocket issues or cracked necks. Just doesnt fit anymore even trimmed to correct length. Thankfully remington sells brass in 100 rnd bags but the nosler stuff is nicer I think.

Hope this helps

I were you, I would look into a small body die or have one made if the full length sizing die doesn't work. Another thing to consider is getting you necks turned. I bett with those two processes you could use that brass again. Another thing you could do is make sure you full length die is touching the shell holder. If it is.. turn it another 1/8th of a turn. This will bump the shoulder back on your brass and should loosen it up in your chamber.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
I were you, I would look into a small body die or have one made if the full length sizing die doesn't work. Another thing to consider is getting you necks turned. I bett with those two processes you could use that brass again. Another thing you could do is make sure you full length die is touching the shell holder. If it is.. turn it another 1/8th of a turn. This will bump the shoulder back on your brass and should loosen it up in your chamber.

Tank

It has been my experiance that setting the shoulder too far back will dramatically shorten the life of the brass. In fact if you go too far you CAN and WILL blow the case in half. I have experimented with this very thing. Trust me, you only want to bump the shoulder back .001 to .002
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

1/8th of a turn should only bump .002 to .003 I would think. I just think the shoulder is getting tight and I think if he bumps it back it may give his brass new life. I don' t have a lot of money to spend on brass, so I try to find ways to extend the life of the brass I own.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!