Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Brake Question (Carlock, Fiftydriver,...)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Brake Question (Carlock, Fiftydriver,...)

Is there a muzzle brake out there that when you shoot it from a prone position it doesn't rain dust, sticks, and small rocks down on your head for 5 minutes afterwards?

Unread 01-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Any partition style brake should cut it way down. Defensive Edge, SSG, JP, Holland has one I think.
Unread 01-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Silver Member
I just bought one of Carlocks brakes and he designed it to prevent / minimise the "rain of derbis". seems like a good design. havent got it installed yet.
" People sleep peacably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf " - George Orwell

I am the way I am because I watched the movies "Red Dawn" and "Tremors" at a impressionable age.
Unread 01-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
Any brake with a solid bottom will greatly limit ground debris from being blown up in your face. That said, this is dependant on the specific ground debris and of course the intensity of the rifle you are shooting.

By that I mean, if you shoot on well vegetated ground, you will have very little debris with any chambering with a solid bottom brake. If you shoot in fine sand, dirt, water or loose snow, there will be some debris flying around with magnum class chamberings but it will be very tolerable compared to no brake or a radial port brake such as any with holes 360 degrees around the brake circumference.

I use Defensive Edge brakes mainly, Holland QD brakes and for large diameter muzzles I will make my own custom brake design. All have solid bottom designs.

Obviosuly the wider the solid portion on the bottom, the more protection the ground will have from the blast. The ones I have listed are the best. Shawns and my Custom Slab brakes are the best I have every used, very similiar in design but really best for large diameter barrels. The DE and Holland are the best I have used for conventional barrels and still have an attractive look as opposed to the JP brake.

Kirby Allen(50)
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page:
Unread 01-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Silver Member
I have got a Holland QD on my Sendero, have had no problems with dust and crap. One day I will put a #5 Lilja barell on it and will probably try a Defensive edge brake if they can be shipped to New Zealand
Unread 01-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Gold Member
I like Shawns but DO NOT! shoot it without ear stuffins! LOUD aint the word!
Unread 01-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Bronze Member
kirby, which one do you install on your 270AM's?
I'am Rick James B!#@H!