Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

To Brake or Not to Brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Gold Member

To Brake or Not to Brake?

Building a 7mm STW with a 30" sedero contour barrel. Should I put a brake on this or no? I'm a big boy and recoil doesn't bother me but would be nice to not have the gun jump.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: To Brake or Not to Brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesthunter View Post
Building a 7mm STW with a 30" sedero contour barrel. Should I put a brake on this or no? I'm a big boy and recoil doesn't bother me but would be nice to not have the gun jump.
I wouldn't !

With 30 inches of barrel it would become very long, and with the sendero barrel contour
recoil will be mild.

With the longer barrels and the right crown you don't have to ware ear protection, (even
though you should).

But with a break you MUST wear some kind of hearing protection.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't. I don't imagine the rifle is gonna jump much with that 30" varmint profile barrel, unless you're shooting max load 168/180's. What are you planning on feeding your new baby? JohnnyK.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

I'm on the other side of the fence.....

I would for sure. I felt the same as those who posted against it. That is until I had a 7WSM built with a badger break. I had a thread protector made thinking I may not like a break, but honestly I can't imagine taking it off. It may have to do with the type of break, but mine is only loud to those sitting or standing beside me when I shoot. It's the style with the ports only on the sides, not the bottom or top.....highly recomended.

I shot an STW for years......get a good style break and you'll love it. I promise!
Old 06-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the responces, I will mainly be using this for hunting but will punch some paper to show off a little what it can do hopefully. I plan on sending 140 grainers down it as fast and acurate as possible.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

I have a Holland QD brake on a 12.6 lb 270 extreme magnum.

Recoil w/o the brake recoil is mild but with it recoil is about non existent. With a proper setup shots can be spotted at all distances. (Note: proper set up is difficult except off of the bench)

The only complaint is that when carrying it through the woods with the 30" barrel plus the brake, the muzzle bangs in to a few trees until I get used to the length.

Oh, there's the constant hearing protection, which I have gotten used to and even enjoy on cold days.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Silver Member

My 7STW has a Kirby Allen brake.

My only varmint rifle without a brake is a 220 Rocket. Unlike my braked varminters (243AI, 22-250AI, 22-243), it's always been annoyingly difficult to see bullet strikes with this rifle.

The good news is that the Rocket's barrel is losing its accuracy, and the new barrel will definitely be fitted with a brake.

FWIW, I shot a brakeless sporter weight .338 (successfully) for years because I didn't know any better. Now that I've experienced rifles with muzzle brakes, I'd recommend them for any centerfire rifle...well, maybe except a 22 Hornet.