Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

To "Brake or not to "Brake"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member
Re: To "Brake or not to "Brake"

I have a 300 Wby with a brake on it. It came with a cap so I could shoot it without the brake. I shoot 200 grain Accubonds through it at 3100-3150 so it's recoil is very similar. I have had it about 3 years now. To date I have never had the urge to shoot it without the brake. It is so nice. I can concentrate on my shooting and never have to worry about recoil. I have always had the time to slip on my electronic muff or slip in my earplugs. I use rubber ear plgs that are on a string. I wear my left one very loose and just push it in tight when it's time to shoot and slip in the other one quick. I don't have to wait on these to expand. I did shoot my elk last year without ear plugs and for just the one shot it really wasn't that big of deal. I do recomend you never shoot anything bigger than an air rifle without ear protection. Even a 22 will hurt your hearing.

I would put a brake on it and enjoy the best of both worlds by never taking it off. A big powerful rifle and almost no recoil.
Some kids want to be a fireman or a doctor to help people. I wanted to be a gunsmith.

NRA Life Member and I vote.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.