close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

To "Brake or not to "Brake"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-06-2009, 10:05 AM
JEREMY logan

Re: To "Brake or not to "Brake"

I agree with troutslayer about the ear protection . I have a 300 rum with a 26'' broughton heavy sporter contour barell with no flutes so it prabably weighs a little more than the sendaro barell. It's topped with a 6.5-20-50 lupy I tossed the factory recoil pad and went with a softer one. I am trying to find a good load for the 210 bergers shooting a few three shot groups at the bench with a t- shirt on is not to bad ,what annoys me the most is it jumps out of the sand bags everytime I pull the trigger so i'm going with a break once I get the $$$ in my opinion anyone that shoots the 300rum after 25 or 30 rounds that holds it lightly enough to hit what their aiming at or to shoot itty bitty groups would want a brake. I'm going with the threaded option that was mentioned already ...
    Unread 05-06-2009, 10:40 AM

I had a 300 RUM built a couple years ago (28" Donnely barrel, McMillian stock, 700 Rem Action) and it was the best thig I ever did. Started shooting and it was almost unpleasant and I am a larger guy. About 10 rounds was all I could do before my shoulder felt like it would fall off. By the way the gun weighs in at around 13 pounds. I first had a Kick-eze recoil pad put on and what a difference that made. I would recommend them to anyone. The only dissadvantage I have found is that to help the pad last and reap the full benefits you don't want to store your gun upright on the butt end end as you would in a safe. The pad greatly reduced recoil to the point that myself or anyone else could shoot the gun without any discomfort. I also then had a brake installed. I will say it reduced some of the recoil but the reason I put it on was to reduce the barrel jump. This gun now shoots like a dream. I have even had my fiance shoot it off the bench and she is pretty small. She said her 270 Weatherby kicks harder than my 300 RUM. Of course it is nice having earplugs in when I shoot. The muzzle blast is signaficantly worse, but overall the benefits in the end outweigh anything lost. I wouls suggest this to anyone shooting a Rum or larger hot magnum at longer ranges than normal.

Unread 05-06-2009, 01:47 PM
    Platinum Member

I have an unbraked Rem 700 300 RUM in a McMillan Remington sporter stock with its Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad. It is topped with a Leupold 3.5-10 and feels fairly light. Probably less than 9 pounds. That particular stock has very little drop to the comb and subsequently it recoils basically straight back at me instead of jumping up off the bench. I shoot it from the bench with a shoulder pad and a firm grip on the stock and don't find it objectionable at all. I'm 5'9" and about 165 lbs. I think the stock design plays a large part in perceived recoil. This rifle is more pleasant for me to shoot than a 300 Win mag with more drop to the buttstock. This is with a 200 gr Accubond at 3200 fps.

I also have a Rem 700 7mm RUM that I put a SSG brake on. It went from a very sharp hard recoil to maybe a 243. It is quite loud however. I'm happy with both rifles.

NRA Life Member
    Unread 05-06-2009, 09:51 PM
    Platinum Member

Have a muzzle brake installed and cap to go along with it - so you can have the option to have it on or off. Good luck.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an ***hole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
    Unread 05-07-2009, 03:31 PM

Have an Edwards Magnum Recoil Reducer (spring and weight design), and a Pachmayr Decel Pad (or a similar "soft" type pad) installed and that will tame the recoil of a lightweight, heavy hitting rifle. I also use a muzzle brake (Vias) on my 300 and 338 RUM rifles, and the recoil is equivalent to a 243 Winchester, and this is from a 6.5 lb rifle. My girlfriend shot my MK100 338 Lapua Magnum rifle Saturday for the first time and flinched for the first couple of rounds until she figured out that the rifle wasn't going to punish her for shooting it. That rifle weighs 10.6 lbs.

The spring and weight design recoil reducer slows down the kinetic energy and transform the "kick" into a push instead. My face and shoulder can be pushed all day long, and all I have to concentrate on is the mechanics of making a good shot, and not bracing myself to be knocked into the next time zone.
    Unread 05-08-2009, 10:43 AM
    Platinum Member

I want to thank everyone for their comments. Have decided from the info you guys have given me to go ahead and have Nate install a brake but have it easily removable for hunting. Best of both worlds right……….thanks again.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
    Unread 05-08-2009, 07:38 PM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
    I want to thank everyone for their comments. Have decided from the info you guys have given me to go ahead and have Nate install a brake but have it easily removable for hunting. Best of both worlds right……….thanks again.
    Excellent choice. Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an ***hole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.