Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

To "Brake or not to "Brake"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

To "Brake or not to "Brake"

Iím in the process of having a 300 RUM built and reallyÖ..really donít want to put a brake on it. Would like to hear from any who shoot the 300 a lot both with and without a brake. It will end up somewhere between 9 and 11 lbs depending. Having to use ear protection while hunting especially with a carry rifle just doesnít set well with me.

Thanks for your responses in advance it is appreciated.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 05-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: To "Brake or not to "Brake"

Well, I don't shoot a RUM. But, I have wrestled with the same question in my rifles. I don't like the idea of having to put ear protection on before I shoot either and none of my rifles currently have a break.

However, the rifle that I'm having built currently will be my first venture into the world of muzzle breaks. The reason I'm doing it is when you are shooting truly long range shots, it is nearly impossible to watch your impacts without one. And I figure for long range stuff, I have time to put on some ears. It is certainly a tradeoff, but there are also some pretty nifty electronic hearing protection rigs out there that allow you to hear or amplify normal range sounds and block out muzzle blast. For a long range ambush type situation (glassing and shooting from a set position), I don't really think wearing hearing protection is much of a hinderance. But if you want to stillhunt or even spot and stalk I think wearing ears will be somewhat of a bother. Just my .02.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:23 PM
SPONSOR

A .300 RUM in 9-11 lbs. rifle with no brake is a little brutal on the shoulder but is manageable. If your going to be shooting long range mostly you usually have time to set up for the shot so a rifle with a muzzle brake and ear protection is no big thing. If this is going to be mostly a carry rifle I can see why you wouldn't want a brake. I would go without the brake, at least for now. If you find the recoil is too much to handle it's easy to install a brake later on. You could also have a brake installed and have a thread protector made so you can remove the brake and hunt with no brake and still have the threads for the brake protected.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 05-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
Iím in the process of having a 300 RUM built and reallyÖ..really donít want to put a brake on it. Would like to hear from any who shoot the 300 a lot both with and without a brake. It will end up somewhere between 9 and 11 lbs depending. Having to use ear protection while hunting especially with a carry rifle just doesnít set well with me.

Thanks for your responses in advance it is appreciated.
It is mostly a question you will have to answer because everyone has a different level
of tolerance to recoil.

Just because you have a high level does not make you tough ,it is just your tolerance
and a low level does not make you a wuss. just a more active nervous system.

Mine is about 85 to 90 ft/lbs (My 416 has no break but it is not fun after about 30 to
40 shots).Because it weighs 12 lbs I can shoot it without a break.

I personally don't like breaks but if the rifle is light and recoil is heavy then one should
install a break to help with accuracy and fun because if you have to think about how
hard it's going to kick then it will effect your accuracy.

And to answer your quertion from my perspective a 300 RUM that weighs 9 to 11lbs
does not need a break. If it weighed 6lbs it probably would .

It is not something that can't be added later so try it without one first and add it later
if nessary.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

Well, I dumped several animals with my new braked .300RUM last season. No ear protection for any of them. The coolest thing ever was when I actually saw a deer go rolling head over heels through my scope! Never had a gun that would sit still enough for that. I did carry ear plugs but every shot that I had required pretty snap decision making so I never had time to put them in. I have not noticed any hearing loss but your mileage may vary...

I really don't think it's that much louder than a regular old rifle. My buddy has one that is magna-ported and that sucker will deafen you. The big blocks seem to channel the noise outward more than back at you. No one will sit near me at the public range, another bonus.

I will probably get some kind of walkers game ear or something for when I'm still hunting next season.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You could also have a brake installed and have a thread protector made so you can remove the brake and hunt with no brake and still have the threads for the brake protected.
That is what I do. A rifle will shoot to a different POI with a brake but once you know the difference, you just dial it in when you change over. I think on my 257 Wby it is about 0.5 MOA up and about 0.75 MOA left.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Bronze Member

First-off --- hearing is a very important sense, no reason to try and damage it on purpose. If possible, you should always try to use hearing protection while pulling the trigger or spoting for someone. LRH allows the ear gear to be put on and that is the #1 reason my 338 has a break.

I have shot a 300RUM w/out a brake, 26 in barrel and it was not fun, but only weighed about 7 lbs, with a break ---same rifle, felt like a .243. The other 300RUM was abou 11.5lbs, no break, 30inch barrel, and was ok --- just had a gentle pushback ----- I think it had to do with a good stock,pad system and the longer barrel burning the powder more thoroughly.

Several years ago I developed a terrible flinch problem by shooting 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge turkey loads in a mossberg pump --- likely due to bad stock design and, light gun and heavy recoil, ---- I corrected it by shooting a lot of rounds with less recoil, but speaking from experience, don't put yourself in that situation if you can avoid it.

I would suspect that a 300RUM at 11lbs with a long barrel and good stock design would be fine w/out a brake.