Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Brake on/Brake off-change POI?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Bronze Member

Brake on/Brake off-change POI?

Hi Guys,

been a lurker here for a while, 40 years of hunting but new to the Long range game, (over 400 yds for me). I have a few rifles and am working on the 243 first, cause I want to have the process down when I go to the 300 win....cause it hurts! So, I just emailed Jim at Centershot rifles about his brake and asked if he supplied collars too. He does. So I can work up the 300 on long range but take it to the mtns with a collar so my buddies and my horse will still listen to me . The question is......will taking the brake off and putting the collar on change the ballistics of the round.?

Thanks
Orion
Old 03-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: Brake on/Brake off-change POI?

It won't change the ballistics of the round but it will change POI and "tune" accuracy like a barrel tuner used by benchrest guys. How much it changes depends on the particulars.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Bronze Member

E 101

Thanks for the response! So, after I dial her in with the brake, remove the brake and check for POI and group size with the new harmonics? Adjust as neccessary and go huntin?

Cheers
Orion
Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 AM
Silver Member

A friend of mine bought a 300rum with a break on it. After working a load that shot at or under half inch at 100 yards and shooting for 2 hunting seasons he decided it was to loud so we took off the break. The group's shot after that were around 2 1/2 to 3 inches at 100yards. We put it back on and it shot normal again.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

In my experience today, yes it can and will....While shooting this afternoon, my BOSS came loose on my A-Bolt 7Mag, and it was throwing my shots every friggin where! Like 3-4" off, and high, low, side-to-side....Any and wvery which way.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.